Sell RMBP for a new MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cvest, Mar 26, 2015.

1. cvest macrumors newbie

I have a late 2013, maxed out rmbp 15". It is in the same shape it was in when it came out of the box. I am wondering how much it would be worth? I am considering buying the new macbook when it is released. I don't need all the power anymore although I get about 12 hours of battery life. I don't think I will notice any difference in speed as I mainly surf the Internet, run a single vm rarely and use Microsoft word. I love this computer but just wondering about the thoughts anyone else might have?

2. scaredpoet, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

If you're running a VM at all, even if it's "almost never" but not absolutely never, I wouldn't go for a Macbook. I highly doubt the Intel Core M would handle it.

Honestly, I would keep your current laptop, at least another year, and wait for the second generation of the new MacBook. This year is definitely a feeler year, much like the first generation design of the MacBook Air. And second gen will be more finely tuned, there will probably be more support for USB-C by then, and maybe Apple will come to their senses and add at least one more port to the thing and a beefier processor.

It might even be cheaper, next go-around.

That said, eBay listings for 15 inch 2013 MBPrs are going for anywhere from $750 to $1500, depending on configuration and condition. I'd expect it to sell around $1000 or so, anything above that is gravy.

3. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

Keep it. You're going to lose a lot of money selling that high end computer for one that's really low end and expensive. Overpriced really.

4. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

5. totten76 macrumors regular

totten76

You say you love your Computer get good battery life, and it's fast. I think selling it would just be a loss on both fronts.

6. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I'm sure the Core M can handle a single VM just fine.

If the OP's is maxed-out I'm sure it'll go for quite a bit more than $1,000, and likely even more than $1500, especially if it's in good condition as indicated.

7. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

Yeah, he can get $1500-1700 on eBay but then you have ebay and paypal fees which will be like $200.

8. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

As scared poet said

Wait for the second generation macbook the current one is very much like the first air and the compromises aren't that great on it. The tech will catch up though and the 2nd or 3rd generation will be awesome I'm sure. As for the jump from 15.4" to 12 " that will be the deciding factor for you I think, until you can try out that 12 inch screen you'll not know if it's enough...

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think the decrease in performance will be noticeable, especially in a VM, both the host and guest environments will be noticeably slower.

What does the the rMB give you over the rMBP right now, other then its smaller/lighter and its newer?

10. newellj macrumors 601

I am very bullish on the rMB but in all candor unless you really need the weight/portability advantages of the rMB I'd wait at least a year to see how things develop.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I'm sure it can depending on your definition of "handle." But then I, for one, like my interface to not lag, even when running VMs.

There are MBPs certainly listed for more, but there don't seem to be any takers. While technically the specs are only a generation behind, and even then only a tick-tock cycle apart from current, buyers still look at the fact that it's a two-year old design and act on that basis.

That said, I do see a MBPr 2.6Ghz model that looks like it's going to go for $1,700, but that seems to be an outlier, and balanced out by the 2.4GHz model that's currently going at around $900 with less than a day to go. Even with the difference in specs, it's hard to reconcile an $800 spread for these two models except to say that this is the world of laptop reselling. You can get very lucky, or very unlucky.

The realistic approach is to look at items with active bids that are ending soon. With that in mind $1,500 seems to be the realistic ceiling, even for maxed out.

Then you have to account for eBay and Paypal fees, if you go that route. Or, take your chances on craigslist.

12. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

No, the realistic approach is to look at what comparables actually sold for.

13. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Now tell me what you see.

Attached Files:

• Sold.png
      Sold.png
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
  14. madflava54 macrumors member

If the 13'' rMBP has UI lag, then I can't imagine the new 12'' MB outperforming it.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What is this based on? RAM would be a bigger concern than processor running a VM, which processors have been optimized to do for years now. It doesn't sound like the OP is doing anything insane with the VM...so why would it be an issue?

I used to run XP & 7 alongside my 2009 Core2Duo Macbook pro and it was acceptable, and thats with a mechanical hard drive and not the crazy fast SSD's.

----------

It doesn't. The few users around here who are complaining about it have something going on with their machines. I was at the apple store every day on lunch while i was waiting for my 13" to come in, and none of the display units or my new machine have any UI lag noticeable at all.

Frankly UI lag in the 2015 would have to be an OS bug, given that the 2014's don't experience it and the new hardware is more powerful.

16. madflava54 macrumors member

I also went to the store and checked it out. Max sure you scale the resolution as high as possible. Try command+N in Safari and watch it open a new Safari window. Then have a few of these open and resize the window. Try finding a large PDF file like 20 pages with some graphics and scroll through as fast as possible. It's definitely not as appreciated with the "recommended" resolution, but I personally think it should be completely absent in a 2015 machine.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

@ the underlined, are you discussing the "best for display" or "more space" option?

Everything you're describing (such as the PDF issue known to be a Preview problem) does not describe the power of the machine at all. I'd wager 10.10.3 will be resolving these "issues".

18. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

Exactly

UI lag is seen in a few apps and is software related not hardware related, it is also exacerbated by using non-optimal scaled views.

If you are having issues with PDF's in preview (it is a bit of resource and battery hog too) then swap to a lovely little program called skim it works brilliantly.

19. madflava54 macrumors member

"More space" option. Everything just looks so huge after using "more space" option. I switched to a 15'' and my UI lag issues have resolved :) I may see it 1% of the time now.

20. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

As I suspected, a lot of ~$1000 sales, with some outliers.

Examples:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item25a32d071c

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...408?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339fe366b8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-MacBook-...576?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fd9963b0

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...674?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f9127c1a

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-MacBo...326?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4193115e9e

Again, hey, if OP wants to sell his MBP for a Macbook, more power to him and I hope he recovers most of his purchase cost. He may in fact get lucky on that. But I'm not going to point at the high end of the results and say that this is what he's going to get, guaranteed. Because that's definitely not the case for everyone.

21. z31fanatic macrumors 6502a

z31fanatic

You are comparing lower end models to his. Early 13 models with 8/256 and no dedicated gpu.
    OP's is late 13 with 16gb RAM/ 1TB ssd/ GT750M gpu

I have watched a lot of auctions out of curiosity to see what my wife could get if she were to sell hers, and late 13 with same specs sell consistently over $1500.

22. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I agree with Mike.
    And as many members advised it would be better to wait for the second generation rMB.
    Having said that I have to admit that I am not a big fan of this first generation rMB.

23. kwijbo macrumors regular

All of those are Early 2013 models, with a 2011 model sprinkled in :confused:

24. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Ive bought and sold quite a few MacBooks but I would never, ever do so on E-bay and I can't believe people do. I want to see and test a laptop I am looking to spend over a grand on. Craigslist is the way to go.