Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reubenatour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
So looking for some more advice. Ive got a PPC G5 2.0 Dual. 1GB RAM. 1TB HDD and a Radeon 9600 PRO GPU.

I was wondering what do you think would be better. Ive been offerd £300 for my PPC G5. And with that i was considering buying an Intel Imac ive seen some on ebay for under £300.

Should i keep the PPC and put up with just 10.5 OSX or get an Intel iMac and be able to run all the modern programes with 10.8 OSX on it?

Thanks

R

uller6

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
I've got the same model, and if someone gave me the same offer I would take it in a heartbeat. At this point, the dual G5s are getting really slow. Mine still works, but the internet is awful (google image search in particular), and I can't run the latest versions of illustrator or AutoCAD. I also can't run a windows virtual machine, which is important for my work.

However, if you're going to upgrade to an Intel machine, I recommend staying away from the bottom of the barrel core duos and core 2 duos. Your G5 will be faster than these first/second generation Intel machines, especially if you load up the Intel machines with Snow Leopard or (yikes) Lion.

So, if I were in your position, I would sell the G5 and replace with a 2008+ Core 2 Duo or later.

Zotaccian

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2012
OFFTOPIC:

uller6, do you use Safari with your G5 to browser web? If so, try an alternative like TFF, Google image search runs OK with my iBook, not great but it is acceptable. With Dual G5's I think it should be OK when using TFF or similar.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
I've got the same model, and if someone gave me the same offer I would take it in a heartbeat. At this point, the dual G5s are getting really slow. Mine still works, but the internet is awful (google image search in particular), and I can't run the latest versions of illustrator or AutoCAD. I also can't run a windows virtual machine, which is important for my work.

However, if you're going to upgrade to an Intel machine, I recommend staying away from the bottom of the barrel core duos and core 2 duos. Your G5 will be faster than these first/second generation Intel machines, especially if you load up the Intel machines with Snow Leopard or (yikes) Lion.

So, if I were in your position, I would sell the G5 and replace with a 2008+ Core 2 Duo or later.

I think I speak for both me and Gotfrey here when i say that core 2 duos can run mountain lion beautifully. And are the workhorses of the mac family

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
I was wondering what do you think would be better. Ive been offerd £300 for my PPC G5. And with that i was considering buying an Intel Imac ive seen some on ebay for under £300.

£300 is a fantastic price to sell your G5 at - I only managed to scrape £75 when I sold my dualie 1.8 w/ 2.5GB RAM. Take the money, and go out & buy a Core 2 Duo polycarbonate iMac. That's what I did and, although being hesitant at the start (being a huge fan of the whole PowerPC way of doing things) the difference in speed makes it an absolute no-brainer. You'll be able to find a 2GHz Core 2 Duo iMac for £200-£250 without any problems, and by using hackerwayne's Mountain Lion tutorial - you'll have a very quick Mountain Lion machine in your hands for a VERY good price.

Here's just a couple of Core 2 Duo iMacs found after 30 seconds of eBay'ing - 1 2

g4manimac

macrumors 6502
Jan 22, 2013
Arkansas
Once again I would say yes,even though I kept my powerbooks and Ibook I just bought me a Intel core duo macbook and I gotta say it is 0.9 ghz faster and it is a big step up and support goes lightyears farther so it should last you MANY years especially since you've been okay with powerpc up to this point.Actually an Imac was my first choice but I went ahead with portability and got a macbook. Good luck

GermanyChris

macrumors 601
Jul 3, 2011
Here
I think if you sell I'd get a mini you obviously have a screen, keyboard, and mouse. You'll get more bang for your buck with a mini, they don't hold value at all.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
OFFTOPIC:

uller6, do you use Safari with your G5 to browser web? If so, try an alternative like TFF, Google image search runs OK with my iBook, not great but it is acceptable. With Dual G5's I think it should be OK when using TFF or similar.

I'd say it would be even better with Camino. Google images aren't so bad on that.

----------

Once again I would say yes,even though I kept my powerbooks and Ibook I just bought me a Intel core duo macbook and I gotta say it is 0.9 ghz faster and it is a big step up and support goes lightyears farther so it should last you MANY years especially since you've been okay with powerpc up to this point.Actually an Imac was my first choice but I went ahead with portability and got a macbook. Good luck

*Facepalm* The speed difference between the G4 and Core Duo is much more than 0.9GHz.

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Even a Core 2 Extreme x9100 at 3.06Ghz will run Mountain Lion perfectly, but we are talking about a machine with a processor one can just pop out for a better one. I don't think this is the case with any of Apple's PowerBooks or MacBook, MBP.

I think I speak for both me and Gotfrey here when i say that core 2 duos can run mountain lion beautifully. And are the workhorses of the mac family

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Jan 30, 2012
California
Even a Core 2 Extreme x9100 at 3.06Ghz will run Mountain Lion perfectly, but we are talking about a machine with a processor one can just pop out for a better one. I don't think this is the case with any of Apple's PowerBooks or MacBook, MBP.

I was talking about the core 2 duo imacs

but it apears it just sorta went in one ear and out the other :rolleyes:

PowerPCMacMan

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2012
PowerPC land
Sorry man.. I was just trying to show that even the Core 2 Extremes can run it quite well.

No pun intended.

I was talking about the core 2 duo imacs

but it apears it just sorta went in one ear and out the other :rolleyes:

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
How is a hackintosh impossible?

Oh my god. You are doing my head in.

A hackintosh is possible but you said to keep the G5 instead of getting a hassle-free, "It just works" intel iMac.

Hmmm... Which one to go for?

Time and money consuming hackintosh.
Or...
Hassle-free, "It just works" iMac.

Such a hard choice! :rolleyes:

Nyy8

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2011
New England
How is a hackintosh impossible?

Every time I come onto the PowerPC forum, I see your Idiotic comments. Just please, this place does not need a "know it all". Some of these people have probably been working on macs longer then you have been alive, I'd much rather take advice from any of them then you any day. Also, mind working on your grammar? Last time I looked "Gaming" was spelling "Gaming" not "Gameing", your just making yourself look like a fool and annoying me.

On another note, any modern day Intel Mac (2006-2013) would be a great choice for you! I would personally go for Core 2 duo or above. Those chips were great for their time.

Last edited by a moderator:

reubenatour

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2013
Cool thanks for the advice everyone..

The hardest thing about selling my mac would be the fact I adore the way G5s look.

Hopefully one day I'll afford a Mac Pro. (when they start selling them in the EU again)

Goftrey

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2011
Wales, UK
Hopefully one day I'll afford a Mac Pro. (when they start selling them in the EU again)

An '06 Mac Pro wouldn't actually cost you that much more than a Core 2 Duo iMac. I've been seeing the 2GHz variants go for around £300-£350 recently. Just some food for thought.

Macsonic

macrumors 68000
Sep 6, 2009
Hi reubenatour. If you sell your Powermac G5 and can stretch your budget a bit and try to get a used 3,1 Mac Pro 2008 model would be fine too. Since you mentioned you are fascinated by the case design of your G5. Plus you already have a monitor, keyboard.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.