Sell the Mac Pro for 17MBP??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Masher500, Jan 21, 2009.

  1. Masher500 macrumors member

    Masher500

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Location:
    Dana Point
    #1
    Well my job is economy based right now, and well sucking... So to come up with some extra cash i was thinking of selling my mac pro system for the new 17 MBP with the 24 inch display.

    Currently i have a quad 2.8 with 1.82TB of storage and 4gb of ram. In my sale i was going to include both my 24 inch HP displays in the deal.

    Now my question is, and maybe obvious, but i wanted peoples input before i do it is this; How much am i going to loose in FCP performance? I do mostly editing in FCP and motion. I also encode a lot of videos, so i know processing power will go down the drain. But how much? Am i going to be hating life? I hope someone that has a newer, not the newest MBP, and a Mac Pro can shed some light for me. Something tells me i know the answer already, but i just wanted to hear it from someone with experience with both machines. thanks for everyone's help.
     
  2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

    bozz2006

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #2
    I think the 17" MBP and 24" Apple display are going to cost more than what you'll get for you mac pro.
     
  3. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #3
    Hmm... yea the 24" LED ACD + 17" MBP will cost more than your Mac Pro, if not equalling it out in cost if your Mac Pro is sooped up!
     
  4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

    bozz2006

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #4
    he says he has the single quad core cpu model... not much aftermarket demand for that set-up. i think you're better off sticking with what you've got.
     
  5. Masher500 thread starter macrumors member

    Masher500

    Joined:
    Sep 12, 2006
    Location:
    Dana Point
    #5
    sorry lemme clear it up, i have the dual 2.8 quad. With my monitors you guys dont think i can get close to 4500 for it? with my upgrades?? Just curious, havent watched the market price too much.
     
  6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

    bozz2006

    Joined:
    Aug 24, 2007
    Location:
    Minnesota
    #6
    depends on the monitors, but my answer is "no". not even close. If you were to sell, you'd be much better off selling each item separately.
     
  7. macsForLife macrumors member

    macsForLife

    Joined:
    Jul 8, 2008
    #7
    I would think you should be able to get ~4 grand with both the monitors, but again, you'll spend more on the new setup, and it will be slower. Just keep what you have.
     
  8. zdobson macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 9, 2007
    Location:
    Indiana
  9. scottydawg macrumors 6502

    scottydawg

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2008
    Location:
    Sacramento, CA
    #9
    I would say you would be hard pressed to get even $4K for everything right now. I think by the time you are done it will be very close to a wash.
     
  10. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Sep 4, 2006
    #10
    Ive sold off my 2.8ghz 8 core mac pro with 16gb of ram, nvidia 8800gt, 150gb Raptor drive around 5-6 months ago for around $4200 but that was when the 16gb of RAM was around $700 even from 3rd party but now you can buy that much for $340.

    Anyways what is your exact setup?
     
  11. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Location:
    Kreplakistan
    #11

    Hmm... If I were your remaining clients,I would ditch you on the spot.
    Not convincing if my content producer would be cutting corners on every occasion and working on equipment that are not optimal for the task..

    Not to mention that you would propably end up paying more for a setup that you could work on : 17"MBP+24"+external disks with high enough I/O for editing and extra disks for backup and...


    Sorry for your distress,but I can hardly think anyones business would be that much on the edge that you cant keep your all ready paid equipment.Well,if you have been working in the business,the first couple gigs have paid your stuff allready?


    The real question is now : do you really work for living or are you just tempted to get a new setup?
     
  12. Migsy macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 19, 2009
    Location:
    London, UK
    #12
    Why do you need the laptop? Are you intending to do some FCP work on the road, or at customer's sites etc?

    If you don't *need* the portability, but still want to get something new, there's the 24" iMac, but I don't know enough about second hand Mac Pro prices to tell you if you'll actually save any money. You may want to wait and see if Apple release a Quad-Core iMac, but only you can judge whether you need the extra 2 cores or not. I can easily imagine this costing more than the second-hand value of your mac pro, once you factor in the purchase of external storage to make up for that 1.8 TB you have.

    There is the saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". If there is something which you cannot do right now (i.e. portability) then change, but otherwise I'd stick with what you have, as all you'd be doing is downgrading.
     
  13. TrapOx macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2008
    Location:
    Denver
    #13
    Not even close. You'd be lucky to get $3,000 for it. Hard drives, ram and cheap monitors don't sweeten the deal much anymore. Fast processors and high end graphics cards do.

    Considering the 17" MBP has 1/4 the CPU power of your MP, it would be a big downgrade in performance.
     

Share This Page