Sell Touch and phone for iPhone now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by 01jamcon, Apr 20, 2008.

1. 01jamcon macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Ok, this is a bit of a silly thread.

Should I sell my 8gb iPod touch that I use daily and love, along with my stupidly annoying and infuriating but still decent Sony Ericsson k850i to buy the cheaper priced iPhone here in the UK?

Basically, now that they've lowered the price, I could sell my existing stuff and consolidate into the 1 iPhone, unlock it and still have £50 extra, however, I would be taking a massive loss of over £250 on the two devices. Aaargh. Or should I just shut up and wait for the new iPhone and take things from there?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

If you are anything like most of us, you will find that you use your iPhone for Internet more than you have any phone before (by far). Therefore, if speed is important to you, I'd wait. It's not that long until the 3G phone will be on sale.

3. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

I've found that I don't actually use my iPod touch to go on the internet that much outside of the house, mainly because it's hard to find reliable wifi. And inside the house, I tend to use my macbook much more, because its just more practical and easier to use. All i've wanted while on the road is perhaps a few occasions where I've wanted to use maps or check something small up, so I don't think I would be too bothered by the slower speed internet.

I hope this is me telling the truth and not trying to convince myself to get an iPhone. I still appreciate any other comments.

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

With Edge or 3G connectivity and unlimited data, you'll be using it all the time. What they say about Internet in your pocket is pretty much true. Needing to find a Wifi link would not be the same at all.

5. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

Ok that's true, I know if I did get it, I wouldn't use the internet as much, because i'd be on pay as you go and not monthly contract with unlimited data. But then if I did that, I'd be annoyed that I can't go on the internet all the time, and its just the same as the touch. Then I'd be even more annoyed when iPhone 2 comes out and its something much better. Ha, fine thanks guys, you've convinced me its not worth it now.

6. kockgunner macrumors 68000

kockgunner

250 pounds is a lot to lose. I would keep both devices until a new iphone comes out at least. who knows what they will come out with besides 3g. a better camera? faster processor? slightly thinner? I was going through the same thing as you with my 8gb ipod touch and my motorola slvr. then i asked myself, what is so good about having everything in one device anyway? does it make such a big difference that my mp3 player has a phone function in it? i've decided to wait until my slvr dies until i get an iphone.

7. 01jamcon thread starter macrumors 6502a

01jamcon

It was a lot to lose, and since last time, I have sold my touch and am using an old iPod, and I've gone back to using an older better phone. It did show how much better Apple products hold their value, I lost only £80 on an 8 month old iPod, but I would've lost £190 on a 4 month old crappy phone.

I'm waiting now to see what Apple bring to the iPhone 2, hopefully like you say, more than just 3g.