Sell&Upgrade/Hybrid/SSD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by seong, Jul 24, 2011.

1. seong macrumors 65816

seong

My current machine has been serving me well for a year now. I bought it in the year 2010 February, three weeks before the 2010 March upgrade. Just a week ago, I've upgraded my Macbook Pro 13" from 2GB to 8GB, and it's been blazing fast. I'm a casual user, doing a lot of presentation, using Motion 5 for graphics, FCP X for DVD/Movie making, etc. Now, I want to ask you, preferably people who've dealt with this before, which of the following choices is the best:

1) Sell and upgrade. I still haven't got a buyer yet, but if I was to sell my current machine, I could use the money that I saved up to buy the current MBP 13". Selling in Japan is pretty hard. The lowest I can go is 700$, since I've saved up around $300.

2) Get Seagate Momentus XT. I've heard good reviews, experience, and positive feedbacks in this forum, and I'm considering to get it if it's worth the upgrade since I won't have to spend as much money if I was to get the SSD. Plus, I'm not looking for SSD speed. Anything what will make my computer snappier. Maybe sell my computer later with this Hybrid HDD before the redesign of the MBPs.

3) Get an SSD. IMO, it's pretty expensive per GB, considering that I could get the Momentus XT and get the speed that I want. Plus, the capacity of SSD isn't really what I'm looking for. However, I've heard it will increase my computer's resell value. I'm not willing to install Optibay, because it will cost addutuibak $130 for me to ship it from states to Japan. Maybe sell my computer later with this SSD before the redesign of the MBPs.

Thanks in advance.

2. dsio macrumors regular

The Hybrid is not a good choice at all, its strongpoint is when you're using few apps, FCP/Motion5 are going to gain nothing, and for those you'd be better off with a WD Black than a Hybrid. SSD would be better, but you're better off selling and upgrading now.

3. Philflow macrumors 65816

I think Seagate XT is the best value for money at the moment. Buying a whole new MBP is better at the expected 2012 redesign. You probably already saw my video of the XT in my MBP.

Why? Are they so large?

4. dsio macrumors regular

Its not the app, its the files they deal with. You really need big throughput for dealing with movie editing, the MXT is designed around typical internet PC use. Typically, I would recommend it but this is the one case where the hybrid is lacking compared to drives like the WD Black 750.

5. Philflow macrumors 65816

That's a good point. The XT's main strength is launching apps and booting.

6. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

I'm sorry guys, but just to let you know, I'm not making something like 80GB movie. The amount is not calculable with GB. That's why it's a hard choice for me. I store all of the movie files in 5TB external HDD.

7. dsio macrumors regular

In that case, Momentus XT all the way, I figured you were doing several GB+ files.

8. Liquinn Suspended

128GB Solid State Drive [+ £80.00]

Apple want 80 quid for a 128GB SSD if you configure it online at the Apple Store?

That's a good price tbh as on Amazon a 128GB SSD is atleast £160

Why is this?

9. seong thread starter macrumors 65816

seong

It's ¥22,890 here in Japan..... Darn expensive. I would rather get a Samsung 470 and save my money.

10. Philflow macrumors 65816

Yes Apple sometimes has very good deals for the 128GB SSD. At that price it's a no brainer.