Seller's Guide?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by shigatashway, May 22, 2012.

1. shigatashway macrumors member

I don't have access to the Marketplace (this is NOT a 'buy-my-mac' post!), but I'm curious what people here recommend as far as success selling their apple hardware on sites like ebay/craigslist/others and where they would recommend going to look to part ways with their mac?

I'm leaning towards ebay, but hesitant considering they take a portion of the sale.... thoughts? suggestions?

2. rygamble macrumors regular

eBay only takes about 5-6%. To me, that's worth it for the extra exposure you get.

3. shigatashway thread starter macrumors member

What about added paypal fees? Has anyone here sold a macbook pro on ebay and willing to share the total amount of fees that they ended up paying on the sale?

4. Blu-Ray macrumors regular

I sold my iMac two months ago on craigslist - comparable price to ebay prices but didn't have to pay any fees. You should at least give it a try first since there is no charge for posting on craigslist.

5. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

xkmxkmxlmx

Pretty sure they take more if it goes over $1000. I sold my MBA last year for $1150 and they took $110 plus another $35 for paypal fees.

You do get more protection and exposure on ebay, but be prepared to pay for it.

6. davidg4781 macrumors 68020

You can probably get more on Craigslist and you won't have to mess with eBay fees and shipping and such. It really depends where you live though. I live in the middle of Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Victoria. Austin's a hot market for Apple products. Houston seemed full of spam when I checked that board. San Antonio has some over priced stuff... which let me almost seal the deal for $350 for my CD 2006 MacBook. I thought that was was over and wasn't expecting to get that much for it.

I decided to keep it but had 1 really interested person, about 10 emails, and about 4 that emailed asking some questions. The really interested one went back and forth with me asking questions and when I could deliver and stuff.

7. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

Ebay fees depend on the value of the item but if you receive payment via PayPal then all in your fees will vary between 7 - 11%, I think it will average around 8.5%. A word of caution, many people have said it is worth it for the extra safety these services provide and while there have been instances where PayPal protection for example has helped me out, there have been instances where I have needed their help and they basically shrugged their shoulders and said there was nothing they could do and I was on my own even though I followed all their recommended practises.
    Might be worth trying a free service first although you will never get the same kind of exposure that eBay offers.