Price Advice Selling 1 month old 17" MBP

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by GunsUp, Mar 18, 2012.

1. GunsUp, Mar 18, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2012

GunsUp macrumors member

Its only a month old, 16gb ram, 750 gig hdd i7 2.5ghz the only problem is dent in the back, accidentally dropped tool on backplate while putting in new memory. that is it. comes with bt keyboard from apple, and magic trackpad.

what should I sell it for, no problems other at all.

2. Hirakata macrumors 6502

Hirakata

You dented it by dropping a tool on it? What tool were you using, a sledgehammer?

You could probably get close to what you paid for it if you sold it to someone you know who trusts you. If you're selling it to a random person, you'll probably have to knock off a few hundred bucks. They might think you dropped it and there is internal damage, especially since you're selling a month after you got it.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As a starting point, you can check Mac2Sell, eBay, or Amazon for prices of similar models, to get an idea of what you may be able to charge. Then adjust your price to account for condition, configuration, remaining AppleCare coverage (if any), etc.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

He probably dropped the laptop. It's unlikely for a screwdriver to damage the unibody shell.

5. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

I have experienced that the high end MBPs with upgrades lose a higher % than loser price base models. This is my experience selling about 6 MBPS on Craigslist. I sold a Feb 17inch base MBP with 3 month warranty left - Perfect condition with 4 battery cycles for 1850 on Craigslist in a city with 1.25 million. FYI

6. GunsUp thread starter macrumors member

was not dropped at all, dent is size of small pea, and the back plate is easy to dent, its 82-A aluminum, try it and see. laptop has not been taken off the desk since purchase other than to put the 2x 8 gig sticks in.

EDIT:: Apple is allowing me to return for full amount back, so nvm!

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

Awesome! Glad Apple helped you out!