Selling 11" for 13" ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by adamtj11, Jan 4, 2012.

1. adamtj11, Jan 4, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012

adamtj11 macrumors 6502

I have a dilemma that I cant make a decision on and I am looking for some advice on this little situation.

I currently have a white MacBook and a base 11". I am pondering the thought of selling the 2 and having just one 13" (probably the 4gb, 128gb) instead. The thing I'm most concerned about is going ahead and doing it now before a possible refresh, although if a refresh is still at least 5/6 months away I wouldn't have a problem with the 2011 13" as I have the base 2011 and it is great , but just lacks storage(64gb). I heard the 2012 model would have Ivy Bridge, but the main Increase is in battery life and Discrete Graphics if I'm right, or are there any other differences? I don't play games on the 11" as it is so I highly doubt i'd start trying to game on a 13" either. One other concern is 256gb storage in the 2012 for the same price as 128gb now? Is this likely possible?

The reason I want to upgrade is for more screen estate, and also I feel it is kind of pointless trying to live with 2 Macs when 1 13" MBA would probably cover everything I do on the 2 and would be the most convenient (i.e. twice my current storage in the Air and close enough storage to the white MacBook).

I don't want another MacBook Pro as the Air is definitely the future of computing and I hate the screen resolution on the 13" model.

Any suggestions are welcome

2. mac26 macrumors 6502

The refresh is still 5-9 months away and it won't be too large of a difference, it's not really worth the wait
    only new things that may come are:
    - cheaper storage (get 256gb for the price 128 is right now)
    - nVidia graphics again (those were the best!) or just Intel HD 4000
    - ivy Bridge (not too major, the real upgrade was from C2D to Sandy in 2011)
    - possibility to custom order with 8gb ram and 512gb ssd

I think the 2011 is still a keeper though, I think you should go on with your purchase of the 2011 13' and use an external hdd for your media storage e.g. music, movies

3. anirudh macrumors 6502

I am one of those who JUST CANT wait to get my hands on anything that I am looking to buy :) If I want it, I want it NOW.

Having said that, I would still suggest waiting for the refresh. You have the 2011 Air and white MB. Alleviate the storage issue by buying an external HDD (you'll need that even if you do buy a 13" 2011). Sure, the refresh might not be equivalent compared to the move from C2D to SB, sure you might not use the improved graphics, but you will benefit from a cooler and more power efficient processor. So yeah, control that urge ;)

4. GekkePrutser macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

The main benefit to Ivy Bridge, for me, would be the option of having USB 3.

Of course there's no guarantee that Apple will offer it even if the chipset offers USB 3, but I can't see why not. Especially because of the lack of third-party thunderbolt accessories.

Every time I go into PC World there's a huge selection of USB 3.0 drives, at nearly the same price as USB 2.0 ones. All that's available for Thunderbolt is high-end stuff with massive prices :( I can live with USB 2 speeds now but not in a year or two.

But I agree it will be at least may/june before we'll see one, Ivy bridge is not out until at least April and I think it's safe to say the Pro will get the exclusive for a few months.

I don't think there's a chance of getting nVidia graphics, they're still not making sandy/ivy bridge chipsets and dedicated graphics is just not going to happen in a laptop this size.

5. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

I'm going the other way! Had a an 11" C2D and now own a 13" SB and real estate is not something I feel like I have really gained on (it wasn't really a problem for me on the 11") but I am missing the portability of the 11". But had to choose the 13" for battery life. If the IB comes with at least 7 hrs on the 11", then you have a great package IMHO. The SB is plenty powerful in terms of processing power but can't comment on the integrated vs. discrete graphics performance because I am not a gamer

6. minnus macrumors 6502

Since you are not too shy from selling your Macs, it is likely worth it to just purchase the current model - and selling it after or just before the new one is available. I imagine that the MBA 2011 13" base will still sell for around 900 locally if not a little more when 2012 model rolls around. It is just a matter of whether or not it is worth your time and effort.

7. Confuzzzed macrumors 68000

Confuzzzed

if you decided to sell, one final bit of advice...I suspect you probably know this already but one last thing if you decide to sell your machine make sure you wipe it properly. The first thing to do is de-authorise the computer. You do this by booting into the partition by keeping R (or it could me command R, play around) pressed whilst the machine is booting. There you will get several options, go to the Disc utility one and from there chose Erase. Before you click the Erase button, I suggest that you click the nearby Security Options button.

Here you have a couple of options, each of which is progressively more secure than the previous. I decided to go for the 7-pass erase, which took about 5 hours to do!! Apparently it met the now obsolete US Department of Defense 5220-22M standard for securely erasing magnetic media by erasing the drive index files and writing over the data seven times. This hasn't been the standard since 2007 but if it was good enough for the Pentagon, then it's good enough for me!!

8. anirudh, Jan 5, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2012

anirudh macrumors 6502

Paranoid, are we ;) Sure someone isn't tracking you down? :p

9. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the replies, definitely think if I can get the 2 sold before I go back to college in February that'll ill go with the current model, It will see me through my final year of my degree without worry.

Most of the things that appealed to me when the 2011 model was released still appeal to me now, I'm typing on the 11" that I love now , but think the 13" screen would be slightly more beneficial overall , especially when dealing with iOS and Android programming !

Now for the hard bit of trying to sell 2 Macs off in 2 weeks :D

Thanks for the help

10. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

So I now own the 13" model and all I can say is that while the 11" definitely has a more of a "thats cool" factor, the 13" is definitely the better of the 2, as the 1400x900 resolution is just bliss on a 13" screen. Very happy with the change / upgrade this far(5 hours into it) , battery seems to definitely be better as I watched the Manchester United game on a streaming website with flash and I am still using the 13" Air now on the same charge that I watched the match, very impressive.

11. anirudh macrumors 6502

Congratulations :) And remember to proudly 'show off' your new air in your sig :cool::D

12. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why of course :D nothing better than being a show off on here :cool:

13. anirudh macrumors 6502

14. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I never thought about it, but a lot of people do that huh? I've seen people list the consoles they have too...why???

15. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

That baffles me while people on an Apple discussion website need to list their gaming console preference as well as Android/Windows Laptop.

16. austinguy23 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

It's narcissistic and a plea for attention.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Let me ask this. Why do you put your apple equipment in your signature?

18. adamtj11 thread starter macrumors 6502

Why do you?

19. anirudh macrumors 6502

Everyone is a little proud and happy about the stuff they own, aren't they? :) nothing wrong in listing your devices in your sig... after all, no one is rubbing it into your face, why look into it so much! Relax people and go grab a beer :D

20. Mr. Retrofire macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

No one does that. ;)

21. deepakvrao macrumors regular

lol

----------

Grass is always greener?

I handled my cousins 11" and now wish I had given serious thought to then 11" before buying the 13".

My first Mac, and I did not even consider the 11". Had a Dell 12" and dismissed the 11 as being too small. I now think it's great. Oh well, at least I get a better battery life with the 13.

22. mac jones macrumors 68040

If you plan on selling it on Ebay, I wouldn't worry too much about the refresh. The resale value on these is not much affected by that.

The resale value is as good as it gets. People want the latest and greatest true, but these aren't like other items. Go and look for yourself.