Price Advice Selling 11" MacBook Air 2011 Model w/ i7 1.8GHz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by yetieater, Apr 12, 2012.

1. yetieater macrumors regular

Hi knowledgeable folks:

I have an 11" MacBook Air in like-new condition that I purchased last July to use at school. It was specced from the Apple Store as a Build to Order (BTO) unit. I opted for the CPU upgrade from Intel i5 to Intel i7 processor, which cost $200 at the time. The total out of pocket expense for the machine was over $1300.

Everything else on the MBA is stock. 128GB SSD, 4GB RAM.

What is a fair asking price for it now, and what is the best place to get buyers to act?

2. AznTakumi macrumors regular

3. macfan74318 macrumors member

I was in a similar boat a while back, I had a 13 Macbook Pro i7 2.7, with a Scorpio Black 750, and 6 Gb of RAM. I was able to get a net of 1380 on eBay. What I recommend is to use a client like GarageSale Trial and take a lot of pictures in natural light, then give a lot of detail and explain to the buyer why you are selling the machine. Also this goes without saying but CLEAN THE COMPUTER! Make it look factory fresh, I use Rubbing Alcohol (91%) for the Unibody, Keyboard, and Trackpad. I would use water (purified bottled) and a clean microfiber on the display.

As for price, I would put 1,300 as the Buy It Now price, and 1,200 as the Auction Price

Hope this helps,
    macfan74318

4. yetieater thread starter macrumors regular

What about selling on this forum? I understand that there is a trading post that appears after you reach 150 posts. I'm not far from that, but I don't know if it's worth the effort.

Thanks for the tip on Garage Sale, BTW. I've got the program and it works great.

5. a.chufong macrumors member

I'm not at the limit, but what I've read is that you'll get a lower price but have less PayPal fees and hassles selling on MR.

Have you thought about Craig's List?