Selling 13" Macbook for iPod Touch?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dagless, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've come to the realisation that I barely use my Macbook, and I never use it to it's maximum potential. It's the 2008 13" unibody model and eBay is nice to it - seen it going for around £500-700. All I use it for is Mail, Safari and iPlayer in bed.
    My iMac is my main computer but I bought the Macbook as a replacement for my Powerbook... which I used heavily whilst at university. I thought I'd still need a laptop but I guess not.

So I'm planning to sell the Macbook and get an iPod Touch to replace both the laptop and my dying iPod 5G.

Has anyone else "downgraded" from a real computer to an iToy? Did you end up missing any features, or worse still did you regret it?

2. neil1980 macrumors 6502

Couldn't make that change myself but wouldn't it be worth considering the iPad rather than an iPod touch for this case?

I'd have thought the extra size would be well worth it...

3. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

The iPad is too big for my needs, I also couldn't fit it in my pocket :D.

4. vistadude macrumors 65816

I put my macbook up for sale because I wasn't using mac os anymore and didnt need a notebook anymore since I finished school and had a good desktop. If I got a good price, I would have sold it and been fine with my PC and iphone. If you get a good price, it's a win-win situation for both people, you get a bit of cash, and another person gets a decent computer they will actually use.

5. rnelan7 macrumors 6502

rnelan7

I would think you would be fine downgrading to your ipod since you have a desktop. Keep in mind though there might be situations where you wish you still had your mbp. Will those situations cause you any regret? If not, then go for the touch.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Been trying to work this out all night, but I think I'm good. The only time it ever really came in handy was taking it on holiday to dump my memory card contents onto. I don't go away often so I won't be needing it for a couple more years! And as far as work goes I used to do concept art on my Macbook (with tablet) so I guess I'll be able to get one of those finger painting apps.

Right now I'm inching towards the iPod. No Macbook enthusiasts want to persuade me to go the other way? :D

7. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Nope. ;) Anything you don't use is really a waste. It's actually wasting your money right now because it's depreciating. As someone else said, you'd get money by selling your MBP, and you'd make someone else happy as well.

I regularly browse the net in front of the tv using my iPhone. Heck, I'm typing this post on my iPhone. ;)

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Well you all won :p. Asked an old colleague of mine if he wanted to buy it.

"That the one with a separate audio in/out port?" "... sold!"

Thanks Apple for removing ports off newer Macbooks!