Selling 3G iPad (keep the sim card?)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iPadPublisher, Feb 23, 2011.

1. iPadPublisher macrumors 6502

I'll be selling my 3G iPad after the March 2nd announcement... if it means I lose a little more value. I'm on mine too often to be without.

My question is about the SIM card though in the 3G model. When I sell, should I keep my SIM card so I can pop it into the new one and keep on truckin' or is it that simple? I've never done this before (with a phone or otherwise). If I do keep the SIM card, how does the buyer go about activating? Will the AT&T store happily give them a new one or?

Thanks in advance for the help. I appreciate ya!

2. WLS macrumors 65816

You should not keep the SIM card unless you are prepared to supply a new one to your buyer. If you buy a 3g iPad2 then you could probably swap SIMS. Your buyer is going to have to have a SIM card to use 3G and would expect one to be there.. I would leave it in and just delete the account with ATT. You can do that from your iPad, just look at your settings for cellular. If you have a continuing original deal for unlimited data then you might want to keep that SIM but on the other hand you can get much more for your iPad if you sell that with it and transfer the account to a new name and CC, or so I've heard.

3. herdnerfer macrumors 6502

Sims are free

Just keep it, the buyer can get a new one from AT&T when they sign up for free.

4. iPadPublisher thread starter macrumors 6502

That's kind of what I thought (that they'd get a new one for free). I do still have the unlimited data (as WLS mentioned above) so I don't want to jeapordize that in any way. I suppose there will be some kind of announcement about that when the new iPad drops, too.

Just thinkin ahead... thanks guys.

5. Eye4Desyn macrumors 6502

I'm curious to know a definitive answer to this just like the OP. My wife wants to sell her iPad 3G 16GB and upgrade to iPad 2. One poster says to keep it in, another says to remove it as to not disrupt unlimited service when having procured the new device. What if you aren't currently using any data on the 3G sim card? Should you delete account with AT&T from within Settings and keep sim card with iPad or remove it (as to protect private/personal data since new buyer will allegedly get a new sim card for free as stated above)? How does that happen anyway? :confused: