Selling 3G on eBay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by grimwwr, Jun 24, 2009.

1. grimwwr macrumors member

Let me start off by saying, I have searched the other threads and did not find the answer I'm looking for.

I am wanting to sell my 3G on eBay. It is 16gb, white and not unlocked. The reason I mention it is white because white seems to be of lower demand. Would there be a point selling an unlocked phone for over $200 when you can get a new 8gig for $99 and a new 3GS for $199/$299? Should I unlock the phone and sell it for more? I am new to selling a phone over ebay so I am not sure how it works and definitely want to get a reasonable amount back since I threw out $399 for the new 3GS. I was hoping for a more direct response to my answer and the forums I searched did not answer my questions exactly.

Thanks

2. lisheran macrumors member

if you feel comfortable unlocking it do it. it doesn't cost you anything and it raises the value of the phone dramatically. i had one 16gig white go for 300 and one that was unlocked go for 400.

3. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

Why does it increase price. If you were to unlock through whatever means, can't the buyer do it just as easily? Are people just lazy and willing to pay an extra $100 to have it pre-done, or just don't know better? Is there a risk that the unlock process could fail and ruin the phone?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Unlocking definetelly raises the value.
    All the buyer has to do then is stick their simcard in and start placing phone calls.
    Not everyone knows how to use a computer well, never mind hacking and unlocking phones and running hack programs and going thru dozens of steps and settings.
    Checkout how much unlocked 16GG iphones go for ebay. If yours is in decent shape you'll get a decent amount.
    Around $300-400 easy.
    If the unlock fails all you gotta do is redo the whole thing. It wont ruin anything.

5. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i sold my non jailbroken 3G for $200 - black 8gb.

an unlocked/jailbroken 16gb, you could probly sell it for $400

6. Offshore1 macrumors regular

Offshore1

I sold my 3G 8gig on Craigslist for $295.
    I could have sold 5 of them if I had em.

7. grimwwr thread starter macrumors member

All of you guys answered my question spot on. I appreciate it. I will soon have an unlocked iPhone on ebay.

8. hitman45400 macrumors regular

i'm sorry to ask this..but, how do you unlock one?
    i know i could google it, but i need a reliable source.

9. GeekGirl* macrumors 65816

GeekGirl*

10. firewood macrumors 604

Last I checked, there were around 24 pages of completed listings for used white 16GB 3G's (clean good working condition, still AT&T locked). The median, or 12th out of those 24 pages listed completed sales for between $350 and $360, mostly with multiple bidders on each iPhone. The extremes, if you want to try your luck at being that 1%, were over $150 higher and lower.

ymmv.

11. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Be wary

So, sold my 3G on eBay last weekend after getting my 3G S. But the buyer wanted to hold the payment til it shipped, and I provided the shipping confirmation, and the address was Nigeria. The eBay ID was created the day of the winning auction, and was no longer valid the day after.... Fortunately, I was paying attention, but the 'hold payment til shipped' thing, even though it supposedly came from Paypal, did not sound right, so I checked with eBay and the buyer was in fact bogus... So am back in town, and have relisted my black 16gig 3G.

Just pay attention.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You almost fell for a Nigerian scam.
    Never ship or respond to anyone trying to ship stuff there. And always log into your paypal account to check if a payment went in. Dont rely on a bogus email that anyone can send you.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced