Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
Looking to sell my 32gb 3GS and I'm wondering, for those of you that sold your phone, where did you have the most luck?
CL is probably easier as everything is local and can be sold in hours.
eBay can have a bidding war and get you more than you expected.

Not looking to make a lot of money but I do want to sell for a fair price.

eBay or CL?

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Looking to sell my 32gb 3GS and I'm wondering, for those of you that sold your phone, where did you have the most luck?
CL is probably easier as everything is local and can be sold in hours.
eBay can have a bidding war and get you more than you expected.

Not looking to make a lot of money but I do want to sell for a fair price.

eBay or CL?

My vote is for Craigslist. I've sold things on both eBay and Craigslist and I prefer meeting in person and receiving cash/trade.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My vote is for Craigslist. I've sold things on both eBay and Craigslist and I prefer meeting in person and receiving cash/trade.

Yup.

I'd rather have less money but have that money be CASH in my hand rather than deal with the whole 'pay-pal / snail mail hostage exchange' that you have to do with Ebay.

nouveau

macrumors member
Dec 5, 2011
You have 234 posts, you need 250 posts for the Marketplace to become available to you

If you can't sell it on eBay or Craigs, try the Marketplace

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
you might get a higher selling price on ebay but after all the fees you'll probably take home more money from cl. Just sold my iPhone 4 32GB on cl for $400. only "fees" i paid were for a cup of coffee at the starbucks i met the guy at.

CoachStall

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2009
Indy
ebay i sold a JB/unlocked 3GS 16 gig for $225...

after fees and shipping i had $180ish left over.

Jedi5

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 16, 2009
North Burbs, IL
forgot to ask...

what would be a fair price to sell at? on eBay, i've seen 32gb go anywhere from $170 to over $200. my phone is in excellent condition, no scuffs or scratches and still have the packaging too.

should i just say $200 or best offer?

i hate phones

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Philly Suburbs, PA
forgot to ask...

what would be a fair price to sell at? on eBay, i've seen 32gb go anywhere from $170 to over $200. my phone is in excellent condition, no scuffs or scratches and still have the packaging too.

should i just say $200 or best offer?

in my area they are listed on cl for 200-250... not sure what they are actually selling for. i would imagine you could get 200 if its in good condition. if its jailbreakable and unlockable probably even more. if you sell on cl just ignore the lowball offers for a couple days at least... give someone time to bite at your full offer.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I would never sell anything expensive ($100+) on ebay. The seller can simply claimed they received an empty box, and there goes your hard earned money.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
I sold my 32GB 3GS on eBay using Instant Sale and received $172.50 with no fees.

My iPhone was not mint/new, as it had some scratches on the back. Nothing wrong with the screen and I provided the box and all accessories.

I probably could have sold it for more through an auction or maybe even through CL, but I didn't have to deal with the hassles of eBay or the issues with CL.

bketchum

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2003
Grand Portage, Minnesota
I would never sell anything expensive ($100+) on ebay. The seller can simply claimed they received an empty box, and there goes your hard earned money.
Hi,

My wife and I buy and sell a lot on eBay. You can protect yourself by buying insurance and tracking, and requiring a signature upon delivery. Set up your sale on eBay so that potential buyers see that all of this is in place - scares fraudsters away and ensures customers that you're protecting them. The buyer pays for shipping, so you're not paying more for these precautions. If you have that all in place and the package still goes missing, eBay will protect you.

Bruce

pooleman

Suspended
Jan 11, 2012
Eastern CT

This happened to me. I sold an older ipod on eBay, the guy said he received an ampty box, I didn't have to pay but he got a refund, and my ipod, and I got a hold placed on all my Paypal transactions as a result of the claim.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
Craigs List. Cash and face to face way better than no cash and who knows what's on the other end. I use CL all the time, rarely use eBay and even then, only for small items I'm looking to buy.

andyx3x

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2011
The only answer here is Craigslist. You can get your money in hours and you don't have to worry about being scammed.

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
I've sold on eBay before, you have to consider the fee and the fact that most people like the fastest shipping option.

techguy20

macrumors 6502
Jan 30, 2010
I'd recommend Craigslist if you live in a city where there is lots of activity on that CL site.

If not, or if you don't get any legitimate offers from CL, go with eBay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.