Selling 3GS - is it worth unlocking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by dubhe, Apr 10, 2010.

1. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

Ok, so when Steve releases the new iPhone, I'll be selling my 'locked in contract' on eBay and buying a Pay as You Go to replace it for the remaining year of my contract.

Currently my iPhone is locked to O2 (UK), anyone think I will get more for it if I try and jailbreak/unlock it first? Part of me feels selling it as is (in great condition, with original box/accessories etc) it will get just as much as there must be plenty of 3G owners with O2 sims looking to upgrade to the 3GS.

Appreciate I've got a few months to wait, but thought I'd ask the question.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, a JB and unlocked iphone will definatelly sell for more than just a stock iphone.

3. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

4. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

AS others have said an officially unlocked phone will fetch more than a locked one.

5. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

Personally I would rather buy an unmolested phone, rather than one that someone has had a go at JB'ing and possibly messing up.

I'd say leave it 'as new' but state that its easy to unlock and offer a link on how to do it to the lucky auction winner.

Also O2 offer maybe the best deal anyway with this phone on the £20 simplicity tarrif with unlimited web access.

Have a look at Ebay ad see what the selling price difference is as well.

6. noshjewman macrumors member

I wholeheartedly agree with this - this should make your iPhone essentially 'factory unlocked' - the best situation you can be in.

7. dubhe thread starter macrumors 65816

dubhe

Thanks for the info, didn't realise O2 would do it. Interesting the webpage linked says they will do it for free. I'll be looking into this :)

8. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Yes, if you're on contract, it's free. I have mine done already.

Pay and Go users have to pay £15.

9. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

If you can get it factory unlocked by your carrier, you definitely should do so. Such phones earn a significant premium over carrier-locked phones and even jailbroken and unlocked phones.