Selling 3gs on ebay...getting ripped off

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i3igsmooth5769, Jul 20, 2010.

1. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

Hey guys....been reading alot of stories of people getting ripped off by buyers on ebay. I want to sell my 3gs and get top dollar but dont want to get ripped off by some buyer claiming that they received an empty box or something. Any tips?

2. toxictrix macrumors 6502a

3. ddoolin macrumors regular

ddoolin

This. Just don't sell on eBay. Period. It's the worst place to sell.

4. Jigsawjammer macrumors regular

Are people getting ripped off from overseas buyers? eBay can't do anything when it comes to overseas crap for the most part. If it's the USA- just insure it and ask for signature.

5. SDub90 macrumors 6502a

Selling phones for my friends, I've always had higher offers on craigslist than on eBay. I always listed that I would accept paypal and had them send it as a service payment - this way they can't file a claim since you won't have a tracking # with the purchase.

6. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Craigslist

Tips:
    Selling item
    Always bring a friend
    Meet near a bank if possible [check for counterfeit]

Buying from Seller
    Always go with a friend
    Ask to test out phone [Could be Chinese rip-off]
    Meet in a common crowded place

7. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

Not to cloud things up but, I sold my 3GS 3 weeks ago on ebay to abuyer who had over 300 100% positive feedback. Money was auto send via PayPal and I had the money immediately.

Like everything else that's potentially sensitive online.. Just clarify you won't sell to anyone with less than XYZ feedback, USA & PayPal only. Be honest in with the condition of your device, and don't be afraid to set a high reserve if your really paranoid. (that way you can end the auction and offer a "2nd chance offer" to whom you choose)

Good Luck

Blonde Buddhist

8. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

After so many posts, you can sell the item via MacRumors Marketplace. Dealt with MR members (buying & selling) and did rather well...:cool:

9. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I have sold 4 iPhones on eBay and I have had to dodge the Nigerian check fraud people, but honestly just sell within the continental U.S., go only through PayPal (they insure the seller), and have UPS require a signature for the package. I have had 0 problems going through this way and have made about $300 avg on the phones.

10. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

how many

11. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

(at least 250 posts and at least 180 days of membership)...:cool:

12. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

I got $250 for mine on craigslist, sold it to a pizza chef at Dominos near me :D

13. Swiss Miss macrumors member

Swiss Miss

I timed my selling perfectly... a week before the iPhone 4 was announced. I had to go a month with a temp phone, but I got $430 for it. I have bought and sold every iPhone that has been released and always manage to turn a profit on eBay. I sold it US only with insurance. You can get more money if you offer it up worldwide, but it's riskier. I would say don't sell to anyone in Russia or Afria, they are both infamous for scammers, make sure they have positive feedback, and try to get a signature. Hmm... that's about all the advice I can lend. Unfortunately, eBay offers practically NO protection to sellers.

I wish I wish I wish there was a better alternative out there. PayPal and eBay both take a chunk off the sales price, too.

Craigslist is alright, but it's such a hassle to deal with people face to face and/or deal with stupid people's emails and/or calls. I would like a way to filter out all the wastes of time.

What I am really trying to say is... I... hate people and try to minimize my interaction with most people as much as possible. This forum post fulfills my obligatory social contact for the day. :p

14. butters149 macrumors 6502

i called ebay and they said to protect the seller i should take a pic with a time/date of when im packaging the phone, can anyone confirm?

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

Make a boxing video complete with the shipping label/postage.

16. Philalbe macrumors 6502

I sold my 3GS a couple weeks back on ebay for $360. Everything seems to have gone smoothly. The buyer paid me immediately through paypal and it cleared. After hearing all these eBay horror stories I'm a little paranoid, but I guess as long as the money cleared I should cool right? The seller had 0 feedback but I have over 700, maybe that's why the payment cleared so quickly?

17. cocky jeremy macrumors 68040

cocky jeremy

Do what i plan to do from now on. Don't package the phone when you sell it until you're at UPS. Record you packaging it, record the name on the sticker, and record them taking it. All the proof you need.

18. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. Meet in a public place, only take cash, bring a friend with you and everything should work out great.

19. darngooddesign macrumors G3

20. Deadman64 macrumors 6502a

Didn't think of the bank idea....good thinking.

21. starbot macrumors regular

I'm sure I'm repeating stuff, but clearly state PAYPAL only, United States only, 25+ feedback only. 25 is a pretty decent amount, you can go more or less depending on how careful you want to be.

The ultimate security is an escrow service- this gurantees both the buyer and seller security. Here is a statement from eBay themselves (short of it- only use escrow.com, DO NOT use another service suggested by the buyer, for example).

"There are fraudulent escrow services, so use caution if a seller suggests using a service other than www.escrow.com.
    If your trading partner insists that you use a specific escrow service and will not accept www.escrow.com (or an eBay approved international escrow service for international transactions) as an alternative, please decline the transaction and report the seller or buyer to eBay: "

22. starbot macrumors regular

There is reason for concern(mainly the fact he has no feedback)- hopefully it goes smoothly, but if he tried to file a claim, you will have the 700vs. 0 to back up your side of the story.

23. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

"You got the yeyo?"

You'd think so?

Say hello to my little friend - he told me otherwise:

Attached Files:

24. 101AirAssault macrumors member

25. dojoman macrumors 65816

Craigslist is worse than ebay. Where ebay you're selling from comfort of your home where as Craigslist you have to meet some stranger in person. Sorry it makes no sense why you guys recommend Craigslist. Would you rather get ripped off or get killed? I just sold my 3GS on ebay no problem. You just need to sell smart...don't offer international shipping and cancel bids for people that have 0 feedback.