Selling 3GS or 4, how to swap data on SIM Card?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lasuther, Jun 7, 2010.

1. lasuther macrumors 6502a

I'll be selling my new 3GS (hopefully for $400) and buying a iPhone 4. When I did this with the 3G to 3GS, I just swapped SIM cards in the iPhone at an AT&T store. With the iPhone 4 using a smaller SIM card, how is that going to work? Hopefully I'll sell my iPhone 3GS this week and then I'll be waiting for a couple of weeks for the iPhone 4.

2. sal macrumors 6502

when I upgraded to the 3GS, i got a new sim card with the phone and it was activated at the apple store.

at&t makes you swap out the sim cards?

3. lasuther thread starter macrumors 6502a

When I upgrated from my 3G to 3GS, AT&T did the SIM swap at the store for me. I want to sell my 3GS before the 4 comes out. If I go into the AT&T store, will they be able to move data off of my SIM to the new micro SIM?

4. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

Can't swap SIM cards. iPhone 4 uses microsim. The 3GS sim won't fit.

5. i-John macrumors 6502a

i-John

From my understanding, no data is stored on the sim. Contacts etc are on the phone, not the sim.

6. sal macrumors 6502

That is my understanding as well. All of your data is on your computer and will sync once you connect it to itunes.

Swapping sims only becomes important if you have an unlocked iphone and want to throw your current sim card on the new phone.

I am guessing At&t will not swap sims this time around, they'll just activate the iphone 4, with the new micro-sim card installed.