Selling 4s pre-orders on ebay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by colonelbutt, Oct 14, 2011.

1. colonelbutt, Oct 14, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2011

colonelbutt macrumors regular

colonelbutt

I really don't approve of this practice.

Buying an iPhone on pre-order and then selling it on eBay.

Anyway, I have been following a few sales to see how much they are going for and have been laughing to myself.

For example.

1. iPhone 4S 64gb sold for £681. This means the person gets £681-40(ebay fees)-20(paypal fees) = £621. It cost them £699 so a £78 loss :p

2. iPhone 4S 16gb sold for £510. the person gets £455, so a loss of £44 :p

I guess there won't be many people doing this next year :D

2. JoJoCal19 macrumors 65816

JoJoCal19

So people actually got smart up and stopped overpaying for stuff just to have it day 1? Good.

3. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

I think it's more a factor there being a lot of 4S's available at retail. Yes, they sold over a million of them in a day, but seeing as the casing manufacturing hasn't changed at all, and the internals manfuacturing has changed very little they've probably been turning these out like mad. The only reason there was a semi-limited supply at launch, I'd guess, is that they could only flash so many of them with the iOS 5 GM between when it was done and when they had to ship them out. People were Pre-ordering 32gb models on Sprint.com yesterday and getting them today.

No reason to buy overpriced scalped units.

4. b24pgg macrumors 65816

There are plenty of people around the world in countries that don't officially have the iPhone 4S yet that are still willing to pay well above MSRP.

5. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

Also you have to remember that some people have to pay full price for an iPhone and some are able to get the fully subsidized price. If you don't really want an iPhone but you know demand is high, and you are eligible for full upgrade, why NOT buy the iPhone and sell? You buy for $199 and sell for $700 (average price on eBay for 16gb AT&T). Seems like you would definitely be making money.

The iPhone is also sold out nationwide and after today will be sold out in retail stores too. It's really smart actually. And I'm sure SJ would approve.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why not?

Its capitalism. Supply and demand, if the supply is short and people are willing to spend $$ to get one, who cares if someone is willing to sell them theirs on ebay.

What I don't approve is people waiting in line for hours/days and then try to buy 50 of the phones (to sell online) but apple doesn't allow such tactics. So if you wait in line or preorder and decide you can make some money then go for it.

7. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Why? It's capitalism?

See what I did there?

And before you drop the line of it being unfair or uncouth, I'd argue I'm doing the same thing as you stated, only with more phones.

8. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm not sure what your point is in your reply. I guess I'm not seeing what you did there.

9. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

yes, but the ones they are selling have been unlocked

No provider (in the UK) sells them unlocked
    So they MUST have come directly from apple

10. kultschar macrumors 6502a

I bet the eBay sellers making a loss don't follow thru with the auction!!

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, but wouldn't that affect their feedback, plus they could just have a high reserve.

12. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

You are assuming they just didn't burn their upgrade and made a few hundred £...

13. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

right. I actually am considering doing this. I have a Galaxy S2 on ATT, ordered the iPhone because i have an upgrade and if I don't like it, i'll just sell it and make 400 bucks easy. How is that not ok?

14. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

Supply isn't short....

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Then, those folks selling them won't be getting the premium pricing - the market will only allow what people are willing to pay ;)

16. dwd3885 macrumors 68020

you honestly DON'T think people won't pay top dollar for this? Just look at eBay. Buying for $199 and selling for even 600 is good enough for most people not interested in iPhones.

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, I said the market will dictate what people will be willing to pay. So far that's been a premium.

18. colonelbutt thread starter macrumors regular

colonelbutt

thats perfectly fine

I was talking about folk getting launch day pre-orders direct from apple

I understand capitalism (I think :) ) and I don't mind people doing anything

however if one person ordering 10 phones just to sell is preventing a genuine user getting their phone on launch day (and having to wait a week or two), that could be classed as not fair :confused:

apple only only 2 purchases per person, so this should work, but I have heard of people ordering much more and getting them :rolleyes:

19. Young Spade macrumors 68020

Seeing that "short" is subjective, and everybody who ordered after the 7th have to wait a few weeks to get their phone, I would call that short.

100000000 phones isn't "short"; however, it IS short when 2000000000000 people order them.

So far? Have you looked at iPhone 4 sales on Ebay before the 4S launch? They still went for over 300 easy. No matter what the capacity was.