Selling 5.5 iPod. Good idea?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Bobdude161, Aug 31, 2007.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

Well with the promise of the 6G iPod, I was thinking about selling my 5.5 before the news of a confirmed 6G hits mainstream news.

This is my logic here. If I sell now I can get it for a better price compared to after the 6G comes out. The depreciation value, I'm guessing, will go up on the 5.5 after that time the 6G is presented. But I'm wondering how much though. If I sell my 5.5 now and later find out the 6G isn't all that different I've lost about $75 dollars (assuming the next 6G 30GB will be $250). But it could be worth it if the 6G is amazingly different (touch screen, larger HD, better battery life, etc.). It's kind of a gamble though. So should I sell now and get the 6G or wait and see what the 6G is all about and then sell, but at the same time get less for my 5.5? :confused: :confused:

2. mongoose8p macrumors regular

ive been thinking the same way id say if u want a widescreen ipod then go for it thats what im going to do

3. cbtscheid macrumors newbie

Sell now if you're planning to get the most for your 5.5. If the new ipods are widescreen, there will be a slew of the 5.5's being sold to finance the new ipod purchase. Get in now while the gettin's good!

4. amemoryoncelost macrumors 6502

Just listed mine actually. Not that I'm anxious for these new ipods since I picked up an iphones. I'm actually kind of hoping these aren't iphones minus a couple things, if I had been thinking more clearly and not so into the eye candy, I probably should have waited. But either way, I'm happy with my iphone and I really can't stand lugging around two phone sized items everywhere, I'd end up losing one.

So yeah, mine is up from lack of use. Used it maybe five times in the past 8 months or so that I've had it... Probably should have put it up last week since the auction will end two days after the big event!

5. ds252 macrumors regular

Depends are you happy with your 5.5G now or not because the wide screen is definitely coming out so if you really want that then money should be of no object and you should sell your 5.5G. But if you don't really need it but it would be nice ot have it i would keep it and usually you could probably find a friend would want to buy it for more than someone on Ebay just because friends aren't usually as smart.

6. fireballer55 macrumors member

I just sold mine threw craigslist waiting for 6g iPod!! I got 250 for it!!!!!! It sold in like two days with all the stuff on it!! Good deal!!! Do it and enjoy your new one!!!

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Yes, I'm thinking about doing it with my 5G 60GB iPod

But I'm not sure

8. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

cool. posted on the craigslist. I think that'll sell before Wednesday, yes? :)

9. Sdao macrumors 6502

it definitely should

I just sold my 5g 60 gig video in black... for 225 :) (off craigslist as well)