iPod Selling 5.5 iPod. Good idea?

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
1,220
0
N'Albany, Indiana
Well with the promise of the 6G iPod, I was thinking about selling my 5.5 before the news of a confirmed 6G hits mainstream news.

This is my logic here. If I sell now I can get it for a better price compared to after the 6G comes out. The depreciation value, I'm guessing, will go up on the 5.5 after that time the 6G is presented. But I'm wondering how much though. If I sell my 5.5 now and later find out the 6G isn't all that different I've lost about $75 dollars (assuming the next 6G 30GB will be $250). But it could be worth it if the 6G is amazingly different (touch screen, larger HD, better battery life, etc.). It's kind of a gamble though. So should I sell now and get the 6G or wait and see what the 6G is all about and then sell, but at the same time get less for my 5.5? :confused: :confused:
 

mongoose8p

macrumors regular
May 15, 2007
137
0
Chicago
Well with the promise of the 6G iPod, I was thinking about selling my 5.5 before the news of a confirmed 6G hits mainstream news.

This is my logic here. If I sell now I can get it for a better price compared to after the 6G comes out. The depreciation value, I'm guessing, will go up on the 5.5 after that time the 6G is presented. But I'm wondering how much though. If I sell my 5.5 now and later find out the 6G isn't all that different I've lost about $75 dollars (assuming the next 6G 30GB will be $250). But it could be worth it if the 6G is amazingly different (touch screen, larger HD, better battery life, etc.). It's kind of a gamble though. So should I sell now and get the 6G or wait and see what the 6G is all about and then sell, but at the same time get less for my 5.5? :confused: :confused:
ive been thinking the same way id say if u want a widescreen ipod then go for it thats what im going to do
 

cbtscheid

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2006
16
0
Bay Area, CA
Sell now if you're planning to get the most for your 5.5. If the new ipods are widescreen, there will be a slew of the 5.5's being sold to finance the new ipod purchase. Get in now while the gettin's good!
 

amemoryoncelost

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2004
319
0
Just listed mine actually. Not that I'm anxious for these new ipods since I picked up an iphones. I'm actually kind of hoping these aren't iphones minus a couple things, if I had been thinking more clearly and not so into the eye candy, I probably should have waited. But either way, I'm happy with my iphone and I really can't stand lugging around two phone sized items everywhere, I'd end up losing one.

So yeah, mine is up from lack of use. Used it maybe five times in the past 8 months or so that I've had it... Probably should have put it up last week since the auction will end two days after the big event!
 

ds252

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
146
0
Depends are you happy with your 5.5G now or not because the wide screen is definitely coming out so if you really want that then money should be of no object and you should sell your 5.5G. But if you don't really need it but it would be nice ot have it i would keep it and usually you could probably find a friend would want to buy it for more than someone on Ebay just because friends aren't usually as smart.
 

fireballer55

macrumors member
May 6, 2007
75
0
I just sold mine threw craigslist waiting for 6g iPod!! I got 250 for it!!!!!! It sold in like two days with all the stuff on it!! Good deal!!! Do it and enjoy your new one!!!