Selling 5S early - process to use old iphone while waiting for the 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Uabcar, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Uabcar macrumors 6502

Hi all - Couple basic questions. I'm planning to sell my 5S - possibly later this week. My plan/thought is to fall back on an old iPhone 4 I've got sitting around for the 3-4 weeks (hopefully) until the new 6's drop. I've got a couple process questions:

1. After backing up, wiping and selling my 5S, do I have to then take my old 4 into an AT&T store to get it (re)activated... and may the bs $40 activation fee? Or is there some way for me to get my old phone working by myself. I'm guessing the sim card difference might be a problem (although the old one is still in the 4 if that makes a diff).

2. What about restoring the 4 from my 5S. Will it work - or should just setup the 4 as new for now - and then do a full restore on the new 6 when I get it. (I can live for a few weeks w/o most of the stuff installed/resident on my phone.

Thanks!

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Just get a sim adapter from ebay or Amazon for a couple of bucks. No need to talk to AT&T.

I wouldn't try restoring backwards from a 5s to a 4. It would probably work but the results may be unpredictable. Use the 4 as new and restore the 5s backup to the 6.