Price Advice Selling a 2011 MBP 13 inch

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ryukouki, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ryukouki macrumors regular

Hey, I'm offering this on ebay. It has a few upgrades, what might its value be?

MacBook Pro with upgraded 8GB RAM and 256 GB SSD
    Original Packaging
    FREE Logitech Wireless Mouse (Logitech M525 Mouse)
    OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    FREE 320 GB 5400 RPM drive (the original piece)**
    Original Stock 4GB RAM sticks

It's basically a college kid starter pack and I'm asking for 1025 on it. Is that too little or too much?

2. Liquinn Suspended

UK pounds or US dollars?

3. RedCroissant Suspended

I would say that's too little. Is it still eligible for Apple Care? I think 1100-1175 makes more sense with the upgrades to it and the fact that you're offering a mouse and the original drive(that still works I'm assuming) and the original RAM.

With Mountain Lion though, that's tied to your AppleID so you would have to downgrade it to Lion as far as I know.

Which model is it exactly and what are the computer's specs?

4. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

My apologies, I forgot, but it's USD. The Apple Care is still eligible for an upgrade, but it's got another three weeks. :p Warranty expires on the 29th. :(

The computer is the 13 inch, it has 8GB RAM, the 256 GB SSD, 2.3 GHz i5 processor, almost brand new, and it could have Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac and Windows 7. That of course is at the buyer's discretion.

And Mountain Lion's tied in to the Apple ID? I didn't know that! I was just planning to erase the drive and clean install OS Mountain Lion for the buyer.

And if I wanted to sell it, where might be a good spot besides eBay? I really don't like Craigslist or Amazon as I've been scammed many a time on those two oddly enough. I get buyers moaning after several months that they claimed I broke the item. -.-

5. RedCroissant Suspended

I am starting to dislike Amazon myself, but I use it because I still get the best results using that site. And if they start complaining after long of a period, then only offer a 2 week return period after arrival(not purchase).

Craigslist works for me, but not always the way that I want it to or I have to deal with people that don't know the area and it takes them almost an hour to drive somewhere when it should have taken 15 minutes. And even though those aren't the best options, the MacRumors Marketplace is worse because people don't usually want to pay reasonable prices for items.

SO I would still go with either Amazon or Craigslist, or maybe even find an Apple reseller i your area that would be willing to buy yours.

And yes, since ML is download only or installed when you purchase a new computer, you will have to downgrade it. But at $20 for an upgrade which your computer can fully take advantage of(yours can do Airplay right?), the buyer shouldn't be too worried about that.

6. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

My model should be able to do Airplay. So should I just dock twenty from the sell price and tell him to download Mountain Lion? Do I need to deauthorize all my apps? And let's say that when I format with secure erase, it takes out the passwords in keychain as well, yes?

7. RedCroissant Suspended

That would be fine, but you could also leave the price as is because it's a good price.What you have to do before you sell it is boot into the recovery partition and then erase Macintosh HD and reinstall Lion. That reformatting and reinstalling will take care of everything and there will be nothing to deauthorize as far as your apps go. If you were using that for home sharing then I would recommend deauthorizing it from your list of authorized devices. Passwords will be taken care of as well.

8. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Awesome. I also spoke to someone with Apple and they told me that if the buyer has any problems bottom line is that they can easily fix it because it's a common problem. :)

9. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Alright I'm going to try selling my computer on Amazon. How can I make this fool proof? I don't want a dispute a month and a half later saying it "broke" for whatever reason. Whats a good starting price?

10. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Well Amazon obligates you to have a 30-day return period, so you can't really have any way to fullproof it, but just hope, usually you won't have any problems. I've sold maybe 20 apple laptops on there and have had 3 or 4 returns.

11. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

I've had this guy be an ******* who disputed a "broken and defective" mouse, after THREE MONTHS, yep, Amazon bent me over and shot me with a refund. Got back nothing but a broken mouse that wasn't in sellable conditions.

12. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

That's the cost of using Amazon. Though if you're selling a lot of mouses, you'll see that the pro's outweigh the cons. You just got unlucky on your first sale I guess. Don't let that hold you back from using amazon again in the future.

13. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Dang I listed this thing for 975 and nobody's taken it yet. Wow this market's rough lol!

14. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

On Amazon? Don't expect it to take any less then a week, you won't have it sold the day you post it up... Though you might get lucky. If it doesn't work out for you and you need the money quick, just do an auction on eBay, that's guaranteed money.

15. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

At last! It sold for a thousand, not bad at all! :)

16. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Congratulations! See, a little patience does the trick. :p

17. Ryukouki, Aug 18, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2012

Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Turns out it was a scam. -.- Buyer gave me an address to some strange shipping courier that ships overseas. Uh oh. Thank GOD the package bounced back due to insufficient postage. Got the stuff back and now it's for sale again! The fun thing is that the buyer is begging me to reconsider and he's asking that I sell it again to him as a gift for his wife.

EDIT: he just got back to me saying fine, refund it. Now hes like because you're refunding the shipment, you have to do me a favor for our good friendship and faith. Please tell me your phone carrier. OH LORD. What have I done to deserve this...

18. IamJustin01 macrumors newbie

I'm torn between waiting for news of the new 13 rMBP or just buying the current model. Anyway, what is your location? I'd be interested in it but wouldn't feel comfortable buying it on ebay or amazon.

19. twiggy0 macrumors 6502

Just refund and completely ignore him. And you used a strange shipping courier, not UPS, Fedex, DHL, TNT? If yes, you got super lucky for getting it back. The fact that he wanted you to use a specific courier in the first place screams "scam". Next time you'll know.

Glad you managed to not lose anything.

20. Ryukouki thread starter macrumors regular

Oh no I used USPS express mail. The address I was to ship to was some industrial complex called Aramex which does shipping overseas to the Middle East and India. -____- Thank God I made a mistake on postage weight they returned to sender lol.

The only reason I backed out was because I have coverage from my place to that Aramex place. I do NOT have coverage from Aramex to his place wherever he's at. It's easy to say OH ARAMEX you broke my **** REFUND PLOX and I have no evidence to support that.

Lesson learned: I'll use UPS or something next time -.-