Selling a 3G iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iAAPL, Mar 5, 2011.

1. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

So I just sold my 32GB iPad Wifi + 3G on Amazon for $550 (winning!). I still have my unlimited data plan, and Engadget says I get to keep it. How do I go about protecting my data plan? Do I just have to sign out (or not sign in after I format the iPad) of my AT&T account, and then sign back in on my new iPad 2 that I'm getting on Friday? Or do I have to take the SIM card out and put that in my iPad 2? If I do have to take the SIM card out, what does the new owner have to do? Do they just go to their AT&T store and get a new SIM card?

Thanks!

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Take the SIM card out; they will have to get their own.

3. WLS macrumors 65816

Congrats on selling it at a good price! I sold my 32GB 3G several weeks ago for $550 also. I was wondering if the price drop on the higher price units was going to crash or hold.

did you say in the auction the SIM had an unlimited contract? If so then you are obligated to send it. If not you might still be obligated to send a SIM card with the iPad. If you can take the card out of the new iPad and swap them you are good. Your account is tied to the SIM so it will follow with no problem. If you sold to an out of the country buyer they are going to have to get a new SIM anyway from their Cellular company so I guess no harm no foul there.

4. iAAPL thread starter macrumors regular

iAAPL

Yeah, I was pretty surprised that it actually sold at that price. I didn't mention anything about the data plan in my product description. I'm supposed to mail my iPad out on Monday, and obviously I won't be getting my new one until Friday. Can I just go to my AT&T store and pick up a new SIM card for free?

5. iSingandiDance macrumors 6502a

iSingandiDance

Considering you sold the iPad "as is", you'd have to somehow get another sim card before you send it out.

It would be shady business to send it out sans sim card. And the buyer (or paypal) probably wouldn't be too happy about that.

I don't know how you'd go about getting another.

6. iAAPL thread starter macrumors regular

iAAPL

Everywhere I ask, I get people who are sure about their answer. Unfortunately each of these answers contradicts the other. I saw an article on AppAdvice. They said AT&T doesn't want you to take the sim card out, rather transfer the plan to your new iPan through them. If I go to AT&T.com/ipadlanding , and click the edit payment/information link, I can change the IMEI and ICCID for the account. In theory, couldn't I just not sign in to the data plan when I erase my old iPad, and enter in my new iPad's IMEI and ICCID on AT&T's site?

7. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

just be safe and take the sim out. Go to your local att store and get a new sim. not a big deal. i wouldn't send them my sim if i had unlim. Eff that.

:)

they can just as easily get a new sim too. i think you're worrying too much about it.

8. iAAPL thread starter macrumors regular

iAAPL

In case anyone was wondering, I ended up going to an AT&T store and picked up a new SIM card. I had to wait in line for 47 minutes, but it was free. He put it on my account as a $0 charge. Unfortunately the guy knew nothing about the iPad. He asked for the main phone number on the account that the iPad is on (even though the iPad is completely independent of any other AT&T accounts). Then he gave me a full sized SIM card (rather than a MicroSIM), but I didn't realize this until I got home. I chopped it down to size by hand and put it in. I checked the Cellular Data tab of the Settings window, and it did show the same "Sign Up for A New Account" option that it did when I first got it, so it's as good as new. I just sent it out this morning.

Now hopefully my Unlimited data plan will transfer flawlessly to my new iPad. And now begins the week without an iPad...

9. dstar macrumors regular

I called AT&T about this today. Not yet sure if I'm going to upgrade my iPad, but I want to keep my unlimited data plan if I do.

The rep I spoke with was going through a FAQ list and it stated to take your old sim and put it in your new iPad.

There are probably other ways of handeling it but I wouldn't chance it. $30.00 a month for unlimited data is a bargain.

10. iAAPL thread starter macrumors regular

iAAPL

Agreed. And it's only going to continue to grow in value. I don't think AT&T is going to stop us from using these unlimited plans for quite a while. It's the only reason I'm going to stick with AT&T for my iPad 2. Now that there is a dedicated VZW iPad, AT&T is really going to have to fight for their customers. That is, until ATT & VZW both have decent sized LTE networks, at which point they're going to meet behind closed doors and agree to both offer $60/mo 3GB 4G data plans, required on all devices.

11. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

So by doing it this way, does that mean that the cellular number that is assigned to your first generation iPad then moves to you iPad 2?

12. iAAPL thread starter macrumors regular

iAAPL

I'm 99% sure that it does. If you login to your iPad account on AT&T's website, along with your SIM's ID info, it lists your "phone number." The rep at the store used this number to post the $0 charge to my account for the new SIM.