Selling a 3GS, Iphone pricing

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ferris23, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Ferris23 macrumors 68020

First of all I apologize if this has been covered, I am on the go and don't really have time to do an extensive search.

Question 1:

I sell my 3GS simply by removing the SIM, wiping the phone, accepting cash for my phone and that's it correct?

Then when I get the new phone, put the SIM back in new phone and my plan stays the same?

Question 2:

I can't for the life of me remember if they announce pricing on announcement day or is that disclosed later?

Basically my upgrade date is 2/20 but I don't want to wait until then so I will be buying early. I'm selling my 3GS for 350.00 and am just curious what I might be paying and when that information usually is given. ie. Contract pricing, full retail pricing etc.

Thanks

2. STEVESKI07 macrumors 68000

STEVESKI07

1) Yes

2) They will anounce the pricing when they anounce the iPhone most likely. They have in the past. They will most likely only anounce the new contract pricing, so expect to pay $200 more then the prices they say.

3. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

1.Take your SIM out, wipe it, and sell it. Should be good. However you wont be needing your old SIM anymore due to the new micro-SIM's in the iPhone. So keep the old SIM for now, but you probably wont have any use for it. They will just transfer your account to the new micro-SIM.

2. Like ^ said, expect to pay $200 more than the advertised price (most likely $199/$299 like it is currently. So you should expect to pay $399/$499 if you can upgrade early, or $599/$699 if you dont qualify for an early upgrade.

4. CastilloC macrumors newbie

I got the 3GS in December. According to AT&T: "As a valued AT&T customer, we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade at a reduced discount, along with a 2-year commitment. You may qualify for a full discount on a standard iPhone upgrade on 05/16/2011"

So, I sell my iPhone 3GS, and I can buy the new one at 399/499 then, not 599/699?

And with the new AT&T early cancellation fee, and changes to their unlimited data plans, would I be under to that, or would I be under the plan I signed up for in December?

5. nerdish macrumors regular

Wasn't there reports of the new iPhone using a Micro-Sim?

If thats the case, your old sim from your 3G/S will not fit.

6. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

what makes someone NOT qualify for an early upgrade?

7. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

If you got the "we can offer you a discounted iPhone upgrade......." then ya, you will be paying the $399/$499 price.

You shouldnt have to cancel anything, sell your iphone, but keep your data plan on your account until the new iPhone goes on sale. Sell your iPhone, use a dumb phone for now and simply upgrade when the new one comes out. That way you will keep your unlimited data plan. You do not have to cancel your line just because you sell your iPhone.

no idea :p

8. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

I'm in the same boat, just want to make sure I've got this straight. I qualify for the upgrade according to att.com, so I'll get the $399/$499 pricing.

1) So it's possible to sell my phone even though I'm still under contract? I just wipe it, remove the SIM, and that's it?

2) What would a "locked" iPhone 3GS 16 GB in excellent condition go for on eBay these days? I tried searching completed listings but there are so many on there it's hard to sift through them.

Thanks.

9. jeff_siler macrumors 6502

I sold my 16GB iPhone 3GS "locked" for $349/shipped on ebay last week.

10. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

1) ya, shouldnt be an issue as far as I can see. Your still on contract, thats why you are not getting the fully discounted price of $199/$299.

2) All depends, I personally would just use craigslist = no fee's from ebay. But I would say between 225-300. Obviously some people will pay more for a phone with baseband prior to 5.12.01 because its unlockable, but thats about it.

11. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

How do I find out if my phone has a baseband prior to 5.12.01?

12. Speedracer04 macrumors 6502a

Speedracer04

I believe you just go to settings -> general -> about and look for two things:
    - Version: which is your software version
    - Modem Firmware: which is your baseband. If you see 5.12.01 then your of luck

But if you have updated to 3.1.3, through the normal iTunes update then you have the latest baseband and cant unlock currently. Only firmware 3.1.2 and earlier can unlock right now.

A quick search on google should help you find some better answers though, dont know if mine are 100% in regard to the location

13. badlydrawnboy macrumors 65816

Well, I've updated to 3.1.3 so I'm out of luck. Thanks.