Selling a Black Mac - Need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by boston44, Jun 15, 2009.

1. boston44 macrumors 6502

Alright, so I've made a deal to sell my 2.4 GHz macbook and buy a 13 inch MBP. I restored the mac to factory settings and the music jingle at the beginning played. However, it is now asking for personal info. Once I get the mac to the buyer, she will enter that in. After this is done, do I need to reinstall iLife or update anything? If so, how long will this take? I would do it myself, but she has to put her info in herself, since it asks for address and email and such. Any help would be appreciated. I do have both leopard discs, and was told one has iLife on it. Thanks so much - we are meeting around 8 so not a lot of time to install before the coffee shop closes! Thanks again..

2. duky macrumors 6502

I usually skip that registration info part when giving computers to other people. You can just click Apple-Q when it gets there and it should let it quit. As for the username and other info I just enter whatever I want with a blank password and let them make a new user when they get the comp. That way I don't have to waste mine or their time when meeting them.

3. mmulin macrumors 6502

Just turn off the computer at this point. It will continue there after it restarts.
    iLife she can install herself later or you can do it for her in the coffee shop once she agreed to buy. Takes about 10min.

4. boston44 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I sold it for $1,000. Do you think I should upgrade and buy a base 13 inch MBP for $1,099 with my student rate? It comes out to be $1,190 total with iTouch and printer, however I am always getting screwed with rebates. Is apple reliable? I hope I sold it for a decent price...:confused:

5. Nasty Roo macrumors member

That seems like a very reasonable price to sell for.

In regards to your question about rebates, Apple's are probably the best around. Most people get the rebate check in a week or two, though I've heard of people getting them within 3-4 days.

Go ahead and buy it, you'll love it. :)