Selling a brand new iPhone 3GS from Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imac9556, May 1, 2010.

1. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    So, my iPhone 3GS has been having tons of troubles and after countless replacements (warranty), Apple is replacing it with a brand new one shipped from them.
    I want to sell this iPhone on eBay or locally, but before I do, do I need to activate the new iPhone (essentially open up the sealed box) and connect to iTunes or can I just sell it when I receive it from Apple without opening it up?

I remember reading a thread previously about someone wanting to do something similar awhile back, but I wasn't too sure whether it was a warranty refurb replacement or a brand new sealed replacement from Apple. The person sold the replacement from Apple but never connected it to iTunes when receiving the replacement. Then when the buyer connected it to his iTunes to activate a new AT&T account, he needed the social security number or something of the previous owner because the phone was never activated...? (the serial number of the phone or something was tied to the phone number of the previous owner before he even activated the new iPhone...)

Anyone have any experience with this...Selling a brand new sealed iPhone (not a warranty replacement)?

2. ILikeToJB macrumors member

No. He does not need to activate it. Phones are not registered to people, SIM cards are. And cellular service accounts. If the buyer puts his AT&T SIM card in the phone, it will activate and he will be ready to go.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes.
    I think a sealed and never opened boxed iphone would be worth more than an opened one.
    The buyer can activate it or hactivate it or do whatever they want with it after they purchase it.

4. imac9556 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply guys, but here is the thing:
    The new sealed iPhone does come with a SIM Card preinstalled. When Apple ships out the phone, they do not register that SIM Card that is in the brand new sealed phone under my current AT&T account? So, essentially, this new sealed phone will not be linked to me in any way and I can just sell it without worrying about activating or removing the preinstalled SIM?
    Thanks!!!

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Exactly.
    Its just an spare unactivated sim thats all.

6. bigchief macrumors 6502a

If its a sealed box I'm not so sure the sim is actually in the phone or just in the sealed box along with the phone and other accessories.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes I think you're correct.
    It should be seperate and not even inside the box.

8. fraggot macrumors 6502