selling a busted macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Kristofer, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Kristofer macrumors member

Hi guys. My macbook is somewhat busted. It works as a desktop, but no longer as a laptop. The screen still functions but there is an F-up where the logicboard talks to the screen. I need to replace my macbook if I want a laptop, which is what i need. So I need to buy a new one. I would like to try and get something for the old mac that's messed up, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about selling it? I can put an ad on-line no problem, but I have no idea how to price it. Like I say, it still functions. Just not as a laptop. How should I go about selling it? In pieces? as one whole? any tips would be much appreciated.

2. six.four macrumors 6502

depends on how "messed up" it is. If you can't pinpoint the problem, it's alot more difficult to price out an item, as you won't know how serious the damage is and how much it will cost to fix.

I'd say, estimate the cost of repair, subtract that from what you think the market value is, and then slap on an "Or Best Offer"

3. Yvan256 macrumors 601

All I can say is that there is modders out there who will probably be glad to buy your MacBook as long as everything else works fine. They'll open it up, remove the display and make a desktop system out of it.

4. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. But I just don't know what to ask for. I don't want to ask too little, and if I ask too much it will not be looked at.
    To repair it I would need to buy a new MB. That's it. With a new MB it would work just fine. But the cost of that, shipping, and getting it installed, I might as well just buy a new macbook.

5. dubhe macrumors 65816

dubhe

If it is a decent spec MacBook then just stick it on eBay with a $0.99 start price for a 7 or 10 day auction and watch the price rise. The repairers out there know what it is worth :)

6. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

no way you get less then 400 on ebay.

Think of it as a macmini without the casing really. I would see someone gladly pay 500 for it.

7. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

One more thing - this is going to probably sound stupid to you guys but keep in mind I mostly use PCs.
    When I bought my macbook in April 07, i remember there was a choice between two different macs. One had a bit less memory and a bit less space on the HD as far as I remember. Does anyone know what the specific specs are on that cheaper model? I know it's only got about 75 gigs of space whereas the one I'm using now has 100. I can't find specs for it online anywhere because nothing, of course, says "These are the specs for the cheaper model of the macbooks they were selling over a year ago: blah blah blah"... hehe
    THe reason I want to know the specs is because I'd like to include them in the ebay description. I can't click "about this mac" because all I can do with it is run it as an external drive via a firewire.
    Thanks!

8. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

OK, so it sounds like "2.0 GHz, dual-layer SuperDrive, 80 GB hard drive, 1 GB RAM," probably fits the description......

9. Kristofer thread starter macrumors member

Wow, okay, sorry to bump this thread, but I was just getting ready to wipe the drive of this old broken mac, i firewired it to my new one, it comes on with a darkened screen like usual, and then probably 10 minutes later the screen lights up and guess what? it works. What the hell?!
    The problem is now the battery in it doesn't light up when I test it and the mac shows that there isn't a battery installed (an x through it). Any idea what that means, and is there a way to fix it?
    The circumstances are kind of strange.
    I still want to sell this thing but geeze, I guess now Apple can start suggesting all people do with their busted Macs is put them in a dark closet all winter and then try again in the Spring. Crazy.

10. JAJ macrumors member

well that actually happened to me with one of my older ones. it probably means that you're past 300-500 charge cycles(depending on model) and the battery no longer stores a charge.
    they also released a battery update through software update to fix the X thing.
    that screen thing happens on the old clamshell ibook g3 that I have and it just comes and goes(can't figure out what it is)