Selling a computer for the first time (unibody macbook)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ll PiStoNs ll, Jun 20, 2009.

1. ll PiStoNs ll macrumors regular

Can anyone give me a link or something on how to wipe all your personal information from your laptop etc.? and maybe some tips on selling a laptop for the first time??
    I know alot of people on here deal the old laptops when the new ones come out but I have never done it. However, if I can get 950 or more for my 2ghz aluminum macbook, and only pay 150 more for a pro AND a free ipod touch, why not???

Thanks in advance!!!

2. Ov3rlord Falc0r macrumors regular

Well first off I don't know if you'll get 950 for the laptop. That's a little high considering a new one is only a 200 dollars more. But who knows...

Anyways, all you have to do is do a fresh install of your OS if I remember correctly. You just insert your OS X CD into the drive and go from there. I'm just trying to remember off the top of my head right now as I am too lazy to find my CD.

3. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'

You have a collector's edition MacBook, it's got to be worth a lot....

Maybe $499

4. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

That's harsh, dude. Funny, but harsh. Seriously, I've been seeing newish mbce's posted on craigslist for $900 and staying there, so I think your assessment is a little optimistic.

Any reason why you're wanting to sell your unibody?

5. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    When you install Mac OS X make sure to zero out the data. It should be under options during the install process somewhere. Or you can do it from disk utility. This writes a zero to every byte on the disk. Otherwise your data is still there on the disk just not visible, but could still be retrieved.

6. uniforms macrumors regular

Here is also a suggestion....

I don't suggest craigslist unless it's cash only, and you do it at the bank to make sure bills are not counterfit. I sold a laptop once and the guy gave me an altered certified bank check. I had nothing and the guy had the laptop. I prefer ebay and only with paypal. That way both seller and buyer are protected. I've sold many a computer on there, lots of exposure and I am amazed how much I've gotten there. I will be selling my G5 tower there along with my ACD.

Good luck, you should get anywhere from 800 to 900. Be sure to show the original boxes you have (hopefully you do), and be as detailed as possible.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Has paypal increased it's protection? Last I heard it was only $200, and a lot of people did get scammed selling higher priced items. Craigslist, cash only, and a currency pen from office depot works for me.

8. r34p3rex macrumors newbie

If you are very paranoid about someone recovering any your data, you may want to reinstall OSX and zero out your data twice. Sometimes, it is possible to recover some information even after your wipe everything clean just once

9. mosx macrumors 65816

The bolded part makes me laugh. Ebay and PayPal protect both parties? Yeah right. More like they encourage the whole scamming environment spawned by ebay. PayPal offers how much protection? $200? If that? If they even decide to be nice enough to let you have it? And if you reverse charges on your credit card when a purchase goes bad, they try to come after you via debt collector. Someone rich needs to be scammed by ebay and PayPal so they fan finally be sued and stopped.

10. ll PiStoNs ll thread starter macrumors regular

lol thats pretty funny man, however i sold it today, so im basically getting a macbook pro, ipod touch, and printer for a macbook,150 dollars, and tax

good try, though