Selling a DDM (Dear Dead Mac) :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jennisunshine, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Jennisunshine macrumors newbie

Hi Everyone,

I have a 2.4 MBP that has just bit the dust, I think either the HD or logic board just gave up after 2 years of use... I am thinking about getting a new unibody MBP but I remember there was a website (or used to be?) that bought old macs even if they aren't running so they can use it for parts. My DDM is actually very cared for and there're no scratches or dents or anything so I'm sure they can at least make use of some components such as the screen, keyboard etc. Does anyone remember a place that still do this?

Thanks!

Jenn

2. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

It would make you more money if you could sell it on craigslist :) There's tons of people out there that fix these things or have the parts to make a working machine. I'm sure you want a new laptop and are not interesting in fixing it, but maybe theres a way to fix your Mac? Two years of use isn't the norm.

3. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

eBay.

I'd take it somewhere and get the issue diagnosed concretely first though, so you know what the problem is exactly.

Better yet, I imagine we could diagnose it. What's it doing/not doing?

4. Jennisunshine thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi everyone, thanks so much for all your generous advice!

the problem I am having with it is that when I was playing a youtube video on it (done that a lot lately), it just suddenly froze, and when I try to reboot it it will play the gong, then show the apple logo, and then few seconds later, the screen would turn black/grey with a power off logo and tells me i must reboot the machine. when I do, it is the same. I tried to use the restore disk on it, it will read the disk (from hearing it spin and read), but the machine still end up with the power logo tell me to reboot. I took out all the Ram and just the original apple ram back in, same thing happens :(

I am considering a new one because they told me that if it's the board that broke, it will cost ~700 dollars just for parts. So I figure I might as well buy a new one for that price...

Thanks again!

Jenn