Selling a Domain Name

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SpaceKitty, Aug 16, 2010.

1. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I have owned a domain name for three years now and back when I first bought it, I had big plans for it. It didn't take long before I lost interest in it though.

Anyone know of a good site to sell it on? The site has a vBulletin license that I may let go as well.

The domain is http://icecreamforum.com so it's a great name but needs someone who knows how to get a site started and I am not that person. :(

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

eBay. I doubt you'll get much for it unless someone contacts you directly about it anyways.

3. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

There are forums for designers and developers where you can sell domains... I forget what they are but if you hunt around at Michael Dunlop's site he tells where he's sold domains in the past. I doubt you'll even get much on eBay; it's really slowed of late.

:)

4. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

There are many sites that broker domains. Here is one. I recommend doing some research. Google is your friend as always. (Well, lately it's been the "big evil" but you get my meaning. ;))

eBay is a good idea for research purposes - look at completed listings. But remember that your domain is industry specific, so I would recommend a broker if your research indicates that any kind of a profit could be made and that there is a demand.

5. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

Lots of good ideas here, thanks

About two years ago, I was contacted by someone running a variation of my domains name who wanted to buy it and I had forgotten about it. I may start out by contacting them first.

I'm going to try an experiment first for a few days. Twitter. Following lots of dessert related members and tweeting about ice cream. Maybe it will work and get some people over.