Selling a iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dazlicous, Aug 10, 2014.

1. dazlicous macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

What's the idea time to slap a iPhone 5 on a Flea-Bay whch is out of contract.
    Phone is in top notch nick and was replaced by Apple in March, so refurb will be about 6 month old. I am in the UK

2. StephenAndrew macrumors member

The sooner the better. When the iPhone 6 is announced/released, you can expect a flood of 5's and 5s's going up for sale, so I would list it before September if you want to get the most for it.

3. Grmnracing, Aug 10, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2014

Grmnracing macrumors regular

Selling a iPhone 5

Sell it now. Now is the best time. The next gen iPhone has not been released or announced. Go a month with a cheap phone.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

In the past this sentiment has mostly been exaggerated. The price of iPhone 4/4s did not plummet when the iPhone 5 was released. Obviously, once you have a plan, get to selling it, but it's not life and death and the inconvenience of not having your iPhone is not necessarily worth the comparatively small amount of money you will be saving by selling the device early.

5. StephenAndrew macrumors member

I'm not saying the 5/5s will "plummet" in value when the 6 comes out, but the OP asked when the best time to sell is, which is now. I agree that for a lot of people, myself include, it's not worth it to either use an old phone for several weeks, or have no phone at all, just to make $50 more on an ebay sale.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

In my experience, this isn't worth it, especially if for some reason you are unable to obtain a new phone launch day.

7. makerleone macrumors regular

makerleone

Advising you to sell your iPhone 5 or 5s now, or wait for ios 8, coz i think after upgrading the resell value of your iphone may be increase.

8. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

That's my plan. I'm holding tight until the 6 with the large screen is out. Initial reports indicate that they will be scarce to start with, and my 5S will run iOS 8 fine.

9. dazlicous thread starter macrumors 6502a

dazlicous

Why will it increase

10. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

OP I just sold mines for $400.. minus ebay/paypal fees equates to $387. I have the 64gb silver iphone 5 ATT, pristine condition no defects whatsoever.

----------

False, every new iphone introduction lessens the older iphone value. so OP if you want the best bang for your buck, sell your phone now before the release or your value will decrease significantly.

11. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

then when your buyer says the box came empty you get a charge back and lost your phone. Nice.

12. SpasticPat macrumors 6502

SpasticPat

I personally use Swappa.com for selling my old phones, it seems to save some on the eBay seller fees.

13. ionjohn macrumors 65816

ionjohn

only $13 of fees? I get at least $50 when selling something for $400

14. Appl3FTW macrumors 601

Appl3FTW

well ur right.. I meant you're only getting 87% of your total price... 348