Selling a Jailbroken 4.0 3GS

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Laika37, Mar 13, 2011.

1. Laika37 macrumors newbie

So my girlfriend is pretty indifferent about updating her iPhone, and is still on 4.0 (not jailbroken). Once the new lineup is released, I'll be getting the new one and giving her my iPhone 4. We would like to get the best value for the 3GS, so I was wondering if we could jailbreak and unlock it before selling it. Obviously she has not been saving her SHSH blobs, so would it be impossible to securely wipe the phone without updating the software? If so, she may as well update to 4.3...

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

3. Laika37 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 05.13.04

4. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Just make sure to use pwnagetool to update. You have a perfect phone there if you don't update it poorly.

5. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Now that Apple is only signing 4.3, that's the only version you can restore to. At 4.0 OS and 5.13 baseband, you can JB and unlock it which should bring higher resale value. You will have to manually go in and delete her personally info.

6. Laika37 thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I were to use pwnagetool to update, would there not be a way for me to restore the phone without having to erase everything manually?

7. KSKENE247 macrumors member

Unlock it and throw it on eBay and make sure to include international shipping! U'll be surprised for what you'll get.

8. Laika37 thread starter macrumors newbie

That would be great, I'm just still trying to figure out how to restore it after jailbreaking, without SHSH blobs.

Also, from reading the stickied flowchart, it looks like I would need to use jailbreakme.com? The phone hasn't been jailbroken before, so apparently it isn't eligible for pwnagetool?

9. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

I agree, ebay is the way to go at this point. or craigslist.
    But I disagree about international shipping. I guarantee people in like Nigeria will be emailing you about money orders and such :p

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

You dont need to be JB to use pwnage.
    And you dont need to be JB to start saving your SHSH blobs.
    Download and run Tinyumbrella. Maybe you'll get lucky and still save the 4.2.1 blobs.
    And then you can restore to custom 4.2.1 JB ipsw created with pwnage so you can maintain your unlockable baseband.

11. Laika37 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately Tinyumbrella's site says 4.2.1 signing is closed.. oh well..

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Damn that sucks, sorry bro.

13. Benji222 macrumors 65816

Benji222

Its odd how they closed the signing but technically the latest version for the general public is 4.2 right?