Selling a Mac Book Pro, 15inch - where?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by djwobble, May 31, 2010.

1. djwobble macrumors regular

Hello,

I am trying to sell my Mac Book Pro (not on these boards, as i don't think we can).

I have listed it on eBay but not getting what I have in mind for it and Im sure the ebay fees would be pretty high considering it would be over $1000. If the eBay fees don't get me, Pay Pal will!

Do you guys have any recommendations on where to list something like this to get the maximum value?

Thank you,
    Brian

2. TRUCRACKER macrumors 6502

TRUCRACKER

3. Ann P macrumors 68020

Try placing a local ad on Craigslist. Just be smart and use common sense (for your safety).

4. babyt macrumors regular

babyt

craigslist for sure.
    people snatch up macbooks like crazy on there.. just be safe about it

when i craigslist i do these things
    cash only (although with such a high price idk if that will be viable..so if its a check.. maybe take the persons DL number and other info incase it doesnt go through the bank)
    and meet somewhere!

5. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

Craigslist, cash only, meet at your bank, and bring a big guy. End of story.

6. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah - the thing I don't like about Craigslist is I usually find stuff there isn't worth the value the seller is trying to sell it for. In other words I always find other people's "Junk." I'm afraid others may look at it that way too which is why I was hesitant.

I wish this forum had a For Sale / Trade section!!

Any idea what a MBP (late 08, unibody) 15 Inch, 2.53ghz, 4gb ram and 320 gb hd would go for? Its in GREAT condition. No scratches or dents.

7. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

10+

Absolutely bring someone else. Make sure you meet in a place where you can control the situation. Craigslist meet-ups are #1 for snatch and run robberies.

good luck
    JohnG

8. dubels macrumors 6502

It does... you just need 500 post to see it.

9. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Whatever you do dont take it to an apple store/ reseller. They will rip you off and sell it for double.

10. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

I see... I better get to work!

Good point...

11. RedRaven571 macrumors 65816

RedRaven571

A couple of weeks ago, when I was shopping on eBay, MBPs with that configuration were selling for $1300-1500 (price varied depending on the GPU and if there were any other 'goodies' thrown in); more than I wanted to spend.

I got my late 08 unibody 15" MBP (specs in sig) for $1144 and upgraded the RAM to 4GB for an additional $70.

12. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

Craigslist, you'll find someone local and it'll be a much easier selling experience.

13. djwobble thread starter macrumors regular

14. phrint macrumors 6502

eBay is much safer in terms of personal safety. I have seen quite a bit of robbery/murder stories from Craigslist adds lately. I haven't sold a Mac but I have sold iPhones and other electronic goods. Just know your buyer.