Selling a Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 12, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I've just been offered £959 for my Brand New, Sealed 2.2GHz 15" Macbook Pro and I was wondering if you guys (and girls) think this is a good price? (This model is currently £1299 on Apple UK Store and £1114 in the Apple UK HE Store).

Please let me know as many opinions as possible because I need to let this guy know asap.

P.s. To MacRumors, I have posted this here because I do not have 'Sufficient Privelages' to post in the Marketplace.

2. Marky_Mark macrumors 6502a

Marky_Mark

I'm curious as to why making an immediate 360 quid loss on a brand new Mac is even being considered. Why on earth did you buy it in the first place?

:confused:

People are strange.

3. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

I would delete this thread and put it in the Buying tips advice and discussion section...

But my rule of thumb is if you could do with the cash and that money seems good to you then go for it!

Ofcourse you could always check out Mac2Sell which will give you a fairly reliable price you should expect (but realistically its a bit high!)

Good luck!

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I didn't buy it. My insurance company sent it as a replacement for my damaged G4 Powerbook.

Plus, as I am a university student, I would buy at the HE cost of £1114, so only really losing £155 if I end up having to buy another (which after Tuesday will hopefully be a higher spec anyway).

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

See, now I've just tried that site, and they're saying £1080, but that's very close to the HE price so I don't see that as being a possible selling price

6. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

Well maybe you should sell at the education discount as the majority of buyers wont be able to get it for that price!

Get the extra cash were you can!

7. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I don't think I'm likely to get the education price for it to be honest.

People seem to be paying between £900 and £1000 for them (from looking on ebay).

8. taylorwilsdon macrumors 68000

taylorwilsdon

Thats a very good price. Sell it and be happy, if they release new ones next week - no biggy. You have your money. Its not like the insurance company offered you cash.

9. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, the only reason I'm selling it is to buy either a new one when they come out or a higher spec than the 2.2GHz. So I'll only have to put around £150 to the money to get either the new one on Tuesday or a bit more to get the 2.4GHz model if Apple to release a new one.

I think I'm gonna hold him off until Wednesday and see what happens at MacWorld. If they announce a new one, the £150 loss will be worth getting a higher spec (The mid range model is that much extra anyway). But if they don't announce a new one, or an improved spec at least, I'll keep it :)