Selling a MBP - Questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by keyboredbat, Apr 28, 2010.

1. keyboredbat macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of selling my MacBook Pro (lower end 13" model just before the recent updates) and have a couple of n00bie questions:

When I first got the MBP I had to 'register' my Mac. How would I go about 'de-registering' it? Also, is there a guide out there on uninstalling/reinstalling that I should follow? Will the installation DVDs that come with each new Mac include all the Applications that comes with each new computer (iLife, Safari, Photobooth, etc)?

Also, if I've been syncing the MBP with my iPod Touch- will 'disowning' the MBP affect either machine in any way? Will the MBP still retain any memory of the current user (and the iTouch) if I do a full uninstall/de-registration?

There's a thread here started by someone in a similar situation but I feel like I need more specific instructions than that! How does one even uninstall OSX in the first place? Or would it just be simpler to somehow remove my registration (and how)?

I know these are pretty dumb questions, so thanks in advance!

2. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you can call apple and have them re register it to someone but they cannot just unregister it.

3. keyboredbat thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! So will there be much point in reinstalling the OS then?

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

if it was me i would definitely reinstall the os.

then just unload it.

5. keyboredbat thread starter macrumors newbie

Sorry this is going to sound really dumb, but what do you mean by 'unload it'?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

unload |ˌənˈlōd|
    verb [ trans. ]
    1 remove goods from (a vehicle, ship, container, etc.) : she hadn't finished unloading the car.
    • remove (goods) from a vehicle, ship, container, etc. : the men unloaded the wheat into the bays.
    • [ intrans. ] (of a vehicle, ship, container, etc.) have goods removed : the street was jammed with trucks unloading.
    • informal get rid of (something unwanted) : he had unloaded his depreciating stock on his unsuspecting wife.
    • informal give expression to (oppressive thoughts or feelings) : the meeting had been a chance for her to unload some of her feelings about her son.
    2 remove (ammunition) from a gun or (film) from a camera.
    DERIVATIVES
    unloader noun

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

On the other hand, I'm still as puzzled as was the OP about what "unload" meant in the context in which it was used. Oh, Yeah:

puzzled, ppl. a.
    [f. puzzle v. + -ed1.]
    a. Of a person, the mind, head, etc.: Nonplussed, bewildered, confused; perplexed to find a solution.
    b. Of a thing: Made puzzling; involved, complicated, intricate; †tangled (obs.).
    1651 Hobbes Leviath. i. iv. 17 Coyned by Schoole-men, and pusled Philosophers.
    1656*9 Burton’s Diary (1828) III. 130 note, If there were any, it was but a puzzled nomination, and that very dark and imperfect.
    a1694 Tillotson Serm. (1742) III. 167 Like a puzzled lump of silk, so that the man cannot draw out a thought to any length.
    1784 Cowper Task iii. 145 They disentangle from the puzzled skein, In which obscurity has wrapp’d them up, The threads of politic and shrewd design.
    1790 Burke Fr. Rev. 297 Their puzzled situation, under two sovereigns, over neither of whom they have any influence.
    1865 Trollope Belton Est. xxiv, There came across his face a puzzled, dubious look.

:)