Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Miscellaneous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
London, UK
Hey Peeps!

Will try to keep this short & sweet. I recently bought an Apple Refurbished MD388B/A Late 2012 with the top spec processor (2.6GHZ QC i7). I have installed 16 GB Crucial RAM memory and two brand new 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD drives.

I am thinking of selling it and have some questions in regards to that:

1) Is the AppleCare warranty now void that I have upgraded the HDD with two SSD's?
2) I am not trying to sell at an extortionate price, I would just like to get back what I have invested in it as I am considering buying a QC Mac Pro. It is less than 3 months old and has seen very little use during that time. I bought it for £765 and spent £145 on upgrades so would it be OK to sell for £900?
3) What would be the best way to sell it? I have sold on eBay UK before and has always gone very well however if I was to sell on eBay I would have to pay eBay and PayPal fees so therefore I would have to bump up the price.

Does anyone have any other advice for my situation?

Thanks for reading :)

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Hey Peeps!

Will try to keep this short & sweet. I recently bought an Apple Refurbished MD388B/A Late 2012 with the top spec processor (2.6GHZ QC i7). I have installed 16 GB Crucial RAM memory and two brand new 250 GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD drives.

I am thinking of selling it and have some questions in regards to that:

1) Is the AppleCare warranty now void that I have upgraded the HDD with two SSD's?
2) I am not trying to sell at an extortionate price, I would just like to get back what I have invested in it as I am considering buying a QC Mac Pro. It is less than 3 months old and has seen very little use during that time. I bought it for £765 and spent £145 on upgrades so would it be OK to sell for £900?
3) What would be the best way to sell it? I have sold on eBay UK before and has always gone very well however if I was to sell on eBay I would have to pay eBay and PayPal fees so therefore I would have to bump up the price.

Does anyone have any other advice for my situation?

Thanks for reading :)

Reply to #1; In the USA Applecare is now voided by installing 2 SSD's unless done by a Apple Authorized Dealer.

Miscellaneous

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 30, 2014
London, UK
Reply to #1; In the USA Applecare would be voided by installing 2 SSD's.

Hi, thanks for your reply :) I thought that might be the situation. Some people say they have still had their Mac Mini serviced with third party SSD's installed but the general idea is that AppleCare would be voided.

Would you advise me to advertise the sale of the Mac Mini as 'out of warranty'?

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I'd say you're not only really pushing your luck but also trying to pull a fast one, asking more than you paid 3 months ago.
If it were me, given your total outlook, I'd put it on Gumtree/Preloved or similar site for £750, cross my fingers tightly and hope it sells. I'd be amazed if anyone would pay more. (The moment you walked out of the store with your purchases they were worth 15-20% less - if that is the TVA percentage these days in UK).

tibas92013

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2013
Costa Rica
Hi, thanks for your reply :) I thought that might be the situation. Some people say they have still had their Mac Mini serviced with third party SSD's installed but the general idea is that AppleCare would be voided.

Would you advise me to advertise the sale of the Mac Mini as 'out of warranty'?

In January, 2015 a Apple Authorized Dealer(AAD) here in Costa Rica installed 16 GB Ram in my MM(Late 2012) in which it still has Applecare Coverage until August 01, 2016.

I contacted the Apple Hotline here in the USA and the AppleCare Expert stated that my Applecare would cover any problem with the Ram Sticks as it was installed by a Costa Rica Apple Authorized Dealer that is on their approved listing.

I plan on the same AAD installing a 256 GB SSD in the very near future as this dealer will give me a one(1) year guarantee..

Yes, a lot more costly for "peace of mind".

Last edited:

Joelburman

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2014
I'd say you're not only really pushing your luck but also trying to pull a fast one, asking more than you paid 3 months ago.
If it were me, given your total outlook, I'd put it on Gumtree/Preloved or similar site for £750, cross my fingers tightly and hope it sells. I'd be amazed if anyone would pay more. (The moment you walked out of the store with your purchases they were worth 15-20% less - if that is the TVA percentage these days in UK).

Normally I'd agree but not know due to it being a quad 2012. They are really rare and die hard people wanting to secure them pay up. At least thats the situation in Sweden.

MisterAndrew

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2015
Portland, Ore.
I've sold inexpensive windows laptops on eBay, but I don't think I'd sell a highly popular Mac on there. I think it's far too risky. I'd list it on Craigslist and sell it to someone local for cash only.

Also, if you're concerned about the warranty issue then either restore the Mac to the way it was or tell the buyer they'll have to restore it to factory specs before they take in for service.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
The model you bought was not a server right? What were the specs?

Trying to work out why it was 765 for a refurb

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.