Selling advice

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by G.T., Dec 16, 2013.

1. G.T. macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I am selling my Panasonic GF1. I have the 20mm f1.7 lens and the 14mm f2.5 lens. I also have a few extra items like a lens adapter for OM to m43, as well as a cheap wide angle converter and macro attachment. I have original box etc.

My question is do you think that I have a better chance of selling the items individually or as one whole set?
    I think if I bundle it all together it would appeal to fewer people, whereas if the items were individual I'm sure the lenses would sell more easily (assuming the potential buyers are just looking for new lenses). I know the GF1 is getting a little outdated now.
    Also, are there any sites that you may have had experience with who purchase used goods? I was originally thinking of just selling on eBay but I wonder if there are better places to try (I'm aware of mpbphotographic, but I've not had experience with selling to them, only purchasing)

Any advice would be appreciated,
    Thanks

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Yes, you are more likely to sell the parts one at a time. FredMiranda.com is one place to sell cameras, bt normally higher end cameras. Sometime KEH.com will offer you enough to make it worth it. KEH is a reseller their prices are low but it's a done deal, no waiting.

3. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

It's honestly a better option for you to sell everything as a package. It saves you the hastle of shipping different lenses to different people. Plus, you may make out getting more by selling everything as a package (but not always).

4. El Cabong macrumors 6502a

If you want more money, sell them separately. If you want less hassle, sell them as a package and be prepared to lower your price.

5. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

I used MPB Photographic to sell my 5DII and lens last month. Considering they have to sell it on, I felt they gave me a fair price, unlike some sites.

Contacted them on a Wednesday, got quote Thursday, camera was picked up Friday.

Had an email the following Tuesday to say camera had been received and checked. Money was paid into my account on the Friday.

6. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, unfortunately I'm in the UK. I don't think I can sell to them.

I get what you mean, I just worry the whole package may appeal to less people and therefore might be harder to sell.

This sounds like some good advice.

Thanks for that info.

I think I'm going to contact MPB Photographic and see what they will offer.

7. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I heard back from them, this is their offer:

Panasonic GF1 body (exc++): £45
    Panasonic 20mm (exc++): £130 (assumed mark I)
    Panasonic 14mm (exc++): £65

Total: £240

Obviously I know they want to make a profit so I'm wondering how much more they will be selling the items for. Do you think this price is fair (I need impartial opinion who isn't sentimental over the camera :p) or should I try my luck on eBay first?

8. Ish macrumors 68000

Ish

Their quotes depend on the condition of the camera and how many actuations it has had. I'm not savvy about Panasonic prices but if there is someone here who does, it might help if you mention these. Have you tried checking what they're going for on eBay? Put a watch on a few that are similar and are near the end of the bidding and see what they go for.

Good luck! :)

9. G.T. thread starter macrumors 6502a

I had a quick look the other day. Will do a proper search tonight and see what I can determine.