Selling an .app without Mac Store

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Ortizalbo, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Ortizalbo macrumors newbie

Ortizalbo

Hi there, I'm working on an .app in XCode and I want to sell it outside the App Store or Mac Store. Is that possible?
    I'll make myself clearer. I just started doing an interactive book for children but I don't want to sell it on the App Store, instead I'm selling it to a book editorial for children, they're my clients. So, is it possible to make and test the app on XCode and then not having anything to do with the app store?
    Want to know this before I continue working on it, and If it is not posible which other programs (easy ones) can I use for creating an .app (if they're free its better...)
    Thanks in advance.

2. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

Mac apps can be sourced from anywhere. You will need a storefront and download service if you plan to sell it. Apple provides these services for the App Store and that's why they take a cut.

3. Dalton63841 macrumors 65816

Dalton63841

Set up a website with a shopping cart. I haven't downloaded a single app from the Mac App Store. Ever.

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Good for you. I'll alert the media.

5. Ortizalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ortizalbo

:(

Hi again. As you say glenthompson
    Couldn't it be a way for the editorial to put the app in lets say a CD with other educational apps? Is it necessary to download everything from a mac store? I mean it wont even made for a mobile device but just for the computer. Cant I sell it to the editorial without the appstore? Cant I burn the app on a disk and give it to the editorial chief in his hand?

6. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

Yes, you can. And you can still use XCode.

7. Ortizalbo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ortizalbo