Price Advice Selling an HP Z800 for a Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Ericks89, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Ericks89, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2012

Ericks89 macrumors newbie

I'm not selling it til around May when I finished upgrading it and cleaning it internally.

Here's the specs.
    Quad-Core 2.0GHZ Xeon
    16GB Ram DDR3
    DVD-RW DL drive (not the slide in like the macbooks)
    Dlink wireless network PCI adapter (pre-installed)
    Asus 7.1 sound card

This thing can be configured up to.
    12-cores Xeon (Highest Xeon possible as of today) X2
    196GB Ram
    Up to 3-4 optical drives! Blu-ray, DVD, CDR awesome! Floppy disk? ^O^

I will also be including a dell 3008WFP and it was Prof.Calibrated to boost the price easily $1k!

Pre-installed software:
    Adobe Master Collection CS5
    Bitdefender total protection 2012
    AVG Internet Security 2012

The price I'm asking for the Z800 + Dell 3008WFP is $2000-2400.
    Am I asking too much?

Reminder from the moderators: This thread is for price advice. You can ask for or offer advice on pricing but you may not offer to buy, sell, or trade in this thread or any other thread in the Buying Tips and Advice forum. *All buying/selling/trading threads must be in the Marketplace forum, which is open only to established members. *See the Rules for the Buying Tips and Advice forum and the Marketplace Rules. *Thank you!

2. Macman45, Feb 10, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

You should have posted this in the buying advice section really, but Ill give you a rough idea of what second hand PCs are worth.

It's a nice spec, and I'm not sure about the States, but here I would pay around £ 700 for your machine. They just don't hold value the way Macs do. Realistically about $ 1000.00 is about right.

3. Ericks89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Depends who you sell it to, HP is the PC version of the Mac Pro (check ebay prices for example) after looking I could roughly get $1,500 as the monitor alone(from ebay) can bring in $700.

So yea, 700 for the PC and 700 for the monitor.

This was just a recent search.

4. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

5. Ericks89 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nobody, unless your some major animation company. It's just the max amount of ram it can support.

I'm also waiting as there may be an early 2012 refresh.

6. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

Unless the software is genuine don't include it in your description.

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

If you'll be getting a Mac Pro why not keep the Dell 3008WFP Monitor? It's certainly better than Apple's current 27" glossy screen. Plus it won't fully recoup the cost of a new inferior screen.

As for price of the computer it is tough to say. I'd be more apt to try a buy it now price with best offer option rather than an eBay auction just because workstations can be iffy. You can also sell it through Craigslist.

The current bottom rung Z800 goes for $3000 new. If yours is the same model and the only difference is the 2.0Ghz vs 2.4Ghz Xeon. I don't see any reason why you could not get at least $1500 especially with the 16GB ECC RAM. There is only a $200 difference in the CPU. You could even put the 2.4Ghz in there so you can point people to the exact current new price of the computer you are selling, cell the 2.0Ghz CPU separately. Is that the only difference or does the new model have more upgrades than the CPU?

If that Adobe Suite is the actual licensed media and serial. You'd make more money deactivating your computers license and sell it separately. If it is not don't mention it. It is as good as pirated and adds zero value to the computer just liability. In either case remove it.

Also have you considered trying it out as a hackintosh. If everything works you just save money. If not you just lose some time and need to reinstall Windows (if you don't have any spare hard drives to install OS X on). As long as it is stable their isn't much reason not to use a hackintosh.

OS updates can be worrisome but you don't have to run them. If the parts are a close enough match you can even run OS updates without much fear. Even on a real Mac I wouldn't run OS updates on a business machine because sometimes they fail or cause software to malfunction. As the saying goes, "If it isn't broken, why fix it?".