Selling an iPhone 3G?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by blairbeckwith, Oct 7, 2008.

1. blairbeckwith macrumors regular

Hey guys;

I'm more or less a clueless idiot on this sort of stuff, so I have a few questions about selling my iPhone 3G.

1) I'm on Rogers in Canada, and thus have to pay a $400 Early Termination fee. I assume I have to do this to sell it? What if I want to stay on Rogers, but switch to a different phone/plan (Blackberry). Can I just pop my sim card out, call Rogers and switch my plan, then buy a Blackberry? And do I have to unlock it to sell it?

2) Never mind, I kind of wrapped it all in to one.

Thanks, and see ya later!

2. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68030

Later.

3. blairbeckwith thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much for your informative answer. Next!

4. Helianthus macrumors member

You are so helpful, Bryan Bowler...

To the OP, I suggest you sell the phone, but keep your plan with Rogers. You can pick up a cheapo phone for like $50 if you want. Although, you are probably on a data plan as well, correct? That would cost $100 to cancel.

As for unlocking, you can't unlock a 3g iPhone. If you are selling in Canada, Rogers is the only GSM provider anyways.

5. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

The standard ETF applies if you cancel your account with Rogers entirely. You will not be canceling your account, just changing price plans, so according to Rogers' iPhone terms, the ETF should not apply.

A downgrade fee will apply if the new price plan you switch to is below $30 per month. If you aren't using one of the special iPhone voice+data combo plans, then a separate $100 DETF will apply if you have a separate data plan that you want to terminate. The DETF does not apply to the special iPhone voice+data combo plans.

However, when you buy the Blackberry, you won't be eligible for any kind of subsidy yet, so you will have to pay the full price to purchase it outright.

Re selling your old iPhone 3G: If you sell it to another Canadian, then they will be able to activate it on their own Rogers account without needing it to be unlocked.

If you sell it outside Canada, or to anybody inside Canada who (for some reason) isn't going to use the Rogers network, then it would need to be unlocked for them to use it. There are no known software unlocks available for the iPhone 3G yet. (But a number of SIM adapters are available which claim to work.)