Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
I am planning on listing an iPhone 5 on eBay and also plan to fully disclose two issues that the phone has. 1) The home button works but doesn't provide a "click" feel when you press it. 2) the battery percentage does not accurately show how much juice is left in the battery IE it will die at 40% for example.

Here is my question - eBay guarantees you will get a certain amount for your phone or they will credit you with a coupon. The only thing eBay asks about the phone is the cosmetic condition - which is excellent.

I am not trying to screw eBay or anybody else here but isn't this situation "too good to be true"? I don't see the phone selling for eBay's guaranteed amount with these issues?

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Who knows if eBay will renew on their coupon offer if the phone isn't in excellent shape. Only one way to find out, it seems. :)

Though, before selling it, I would check and see if that iPhone 5 is eligible for free battery replacement. If it is, just get it done. Apple might even replace the button, or the whole phone, giving you a fully refurbished, fully working model to sell on eBay. That will allow you avoid the question completely, and might even get you a higher selling price.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Should I not even try and sell it then?

If you're worried, see what Gazelle will give you for it. Under their criteria, as long as the buttons aren't physically missing, the phone works and makes calls, and there are no cracks, then it's considered "Good" condition.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
If you're worried, see what Gazelle will give you for it. Under their criteria, as long as the buttons aren't physically missing, the phone works and makes calls, and there are no cracks, then it's considered "Good" condition.

$65 from Gazelle. eBay is "guaranteeing" $219

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I wouldn't bother with ebay's guarantee ploy. All iPhones in excellent or flawless condition will sell at or better than the trending price anyway.

Just unlock it and list it with issues.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
screw it, I am not going to sell it on eBay. Not worth the potential head ache.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
screw it, I am not going to sell it on eBay. Not worth the potential head ache.

Too bad. It could have been a good learning experience, even with the risk and you're not going to get much for it anyway.

EDIT: I don't get it. I assumed from your OP that you had no experience selling on ebay, but I see that you have a 59, 100% feedback rating as a seller and have recently sold two iPhone 5 units successfully. What gives?

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
i heard so many problems for the sellers selling their iphones on ebay. try other avenue - like Craigslist, Swappa or Gazelle.

Not really. Those problems are just overreported here. I've successfully ebayed all my year-old iPhones going all the way back to original iPhone, albeit with a couple of non-paying bidders which required relisting the 2nd time.

There are horror stories with CL and Swappa too.

barrett14

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Too bad. It could have been a good learning experience, even with the risk and you're not going to get much for it anyway.

EDIT: I don't get it. I assumed from your OP that you had no experience selling on ebay, but I see that you have a 59, 100% feedback rating as a seller and have recently sold two iPhone 5 units successfully. What gives?

I have never sold anything that wasn't in perfect working order... and the eBay price guarantee makes me nervous as well because I don't think this phone qualifies for it if you read the red tape.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I have never sold anything that wasn't in perfect working order... and the eBay price guarantee makes me nervous as well because I don't think this phone qualifies for it if you read the red tape.

You weren't obligated to use eBay price guarantee. This ploy is for inexperienced sellers.

People do pay big money for parts or not in working order, even activation-locked iPhones. You just need to be aware you'd get significantly less if you don't include the retail box and charging cables, etc. Surprised you don't know this given your ebay rating.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Some cheapstake will buy it from you! Just do it and buyers will bid it up on a good day or night! But don't count on getting $400 for it! But $300-$350 is possible!

posguy99

macrumors 68020
Nov 3, 2004
2) the battery percentage does not accurately show how much juice is left in the battery IE it will die at 40% for example.

Not related to selling it or not, but I wanted to point out that the phone is showing the battery just fine. The problem is that your battery has one or more bad cells. It needs to be replaced.

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
Be aware that no matter how much you describe these defcts in your auction, the buyer may want to return it and want a refund, even months after the sale!

You can make it so no refunds or returns

----------

I sold a Verizon iPhone 5 that was a replacement from Asurion(was pretty beat up actually, decently) and also has the battery glitch thing your i5 has (although mine would randomly die at around 20 %)

I actually ended up selling that one for $275 easily on eBay fast with just the phone and a charger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.