Selling an iPhone and wiping

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by imacken, Sep 27, 2017.

1. imacken macrumors 65816

I'm slightly confused.
    I am trying to remove my 6S from my iCloud account so I can sell it. I wiped the phone - erase and content and settings - and that is all fine. However, if I go to my iCloud account, it still shows under devices, but reassuringly not under Find My iPhone.
    In the help on iCloud.com, it says to remove the device by clicking on the 'x' next to it in the list of devices, but it also says:
    'If you remove a device from iCloud, and the device reconnects to the Internet, it reappears in the My Devices section of Settings.'
    What is that about? I don't want it to reappear!

2. davyh macrumors newbie

davyh

It won't reappear under your account but the person that buys it, enters their details. Wording could be better by Apple there.

3. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

4. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Are you sure that you turned off "Find My iPhone"?

5. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

Pretty sure. I had to enter my iCloud password when erasing all. Also, it doesn’t show on Find My iPhone in the list of devices. How else can I check?

6. davyh macrumors newbie

davyh

Check your emails, should have an email like this

Screen Shot 2017-09-27 at 18.14.46.png

7. imacken thread starter macrumors 65816

8. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

You typically cannot erase all on the phone without first disabling Find My iPhone first, as it is a safety precaution.

9. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

I got an email saying Find my iPhone was disabled on my 6s+ when I just did an erase and content and settings. However, like you, it still showed in my iCloud account, so I hit the X and got the same message. Freaked out a little cuz I already sent my 6s+ out.