Selling an iPhone application

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by RossOliver, Sep 15, 2008.

1. RossOliver macrumors regular

Hey,

Is there any kind of market established for selling iPhone applications? I would have expected something similar to the buzz around Facebook applications but I guess iPhone apps aren't as sort after...

The reason I ask is because I go back to University in a few weeks and wont have the time to update/maintain my application so I will be looking to sell it unfortunately :(

Can anyone recommend the best place to do this? Ebay or something I guess? Has anyone had any experience already in transfering an application to someone else... doesn't look like Apple provide any means to transfer between accounts...

Thanks for your time,

-Ross

2. Luke Redpath macrumors 6502a

If you can't maintain it anymore, why don't you consider open-sourcing it?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Probably because he's put a lot of effort in and would like to get some money for beer at Uni. Which is cool :cool:

4. RossOliver thread starter macrumors regular

Precisely - I'm a penniless student for most of the year and at the minute my application is providing a steady income :rolleyes:

I would like nothing more than for it to be public domain, I dare say many people could use the quiz framework I have written as it's very heterogeneous - making writing another quiz with it as a starting point a doddle... but the pain of hand writing 2000+ questions still lingers with me and I wouldn't mind a bit of cash for my efforts :rolleyes:

-Ross

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If it's selling, even only slowly, do you really need to provide many updates? Could you not just keep hold of it and do updates in the (at least when I was at Uni) reasonably generous holidays?

6. RossOliver thread starter macrumors regular

I could wait the 8 or so months without updating it, but I think that might upset people. I would expect periodic updates to at least the the question database if I purchased a quiz application...

I have other projects I want to start on too - I tend to lose interest in an application once I have completed it :rolleyes:

-Ross

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Spend 1 hour a week adding new questions to the plist/database. Upload to Apple every 4 weeks or so. Would probably keep people happy and keep you in beer.

I know what you mean about loosing interest. I often loose interest once the difficult/interesting bit is done and don't even get to the stage where the whole thing works/is usable :eek:

8. RossOliver thread starter macrumors regular

Heh yea it's a shame really... I just get to the point where I can't bear to look at the thing anymore...

I'm wondering what next year will bring now - last year it was the Facebook applications, this year iPhone... I would quite like to look into Android, but I'm not sure it will be as lucrative as these last two :rolleyes: