Selling an iPhone - buyer wants to know ESN?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Noisemaker, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Noisemaker Guest

Ok, I'm selling my Verizon iPhone 4. I have a buyer, and he wants to know the ESN.

Is it safe to give the number to him, or should I just arrange to meet him at a Verizon store and do it in person instead?

2. Justim macrumors 6502

I'd meet at the store. Safer for both of you.

3. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

Is there anything that can even be done with an ESN/MEID by an individual? The buyer is saying that he just wants to confirm that it's clear.

4. Millionin20s macrumors regular

Verizon store. Giving him the ESN before you exchange cash and phones just makes you a mark.

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Buyer needs to make sure the ESN is clean. All he needs is the ESN and he can call verizon and ask "is this ESN clean or marked lost/stolen". He shouldn't be able to do anything nefarious since he is not the account owner. Its a legit request. I would bother if the seller wouldn't provide the ESN.

6. jenzjen macrumors 68000

+1

I would pass, too, if the seller would not provide me the ESN so I could verify directly with Verizon before wasting time going to meet him.

7. thoryamaha919 macrumors member

On other phones i had bought I always asked for it and never got a problem. Just wants to make sure its a clean one so I can be activated. If its a bad one or marked lost or stolen then it could only be used for parts or a paper weight.

8. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

I wouldnt give it to him. If your selling it via ebay, put in your auction "ESN guaranteed to be clean." If you do that, and its not, then youd be responsible. If it is, then you have nothing to worry about and neither should the buyer. Ive sold plenty of Verizon phones via ebay and never gave out the ESN. They may not be able to do anything with it, but then again, they may depending on the knowledge of the person requesting it.

9. Double Eagle macrumors newbie

There is no problem with giving him the ESN. Most people will not buy the phone without it so they can check to see if the ESN is valid. Phones listed on eBay often put the ESN in the listing so you don't have a bunch of PM's requesting the ESN.