Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LEGALROMA

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2009
Dont start it at .99 cents

It looks like a scam. .99 cent auctions are for people looking to get screwed why would you do that?

Its a legitimate product..........dont list it at .99 cents! Very foolish.

I sold mine for 460. It listed for starting 200. there was a rash of bidding in the end.

Good luck

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
Start at $.99 and find out what the market says.
I will never start an auction above $0.99, no matter what I think my product is worth. The market will determine it's actual worth.

That's a foolish approach. There are plenty of cases where an item could go for more but did not due to bad timing, etc.

I'm selling a 2004 Yamaha R1 right now, should I sell that for 99 cents on eBay if no one bothers to bid on it because they were all watching TV that night?

I will be selling my 16GB White 3G phone which is in excellent shape as soon as my 3GS shows up. I will list it for $350 with buy it now and free shipping and expect to get it pretty easily.

JBaker122586

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2007
I'm selling a 2004 Yamaha R1 right now, should I sell that for 99 cents on eBay if no one bothers to bid on it because they were all watching TV that night?

It wouldn't sell for $0.99.
Especially considering there is no way to set a 10 minute auction.

Trust me, the free market works. There are ways you can get more money, like making sure your auction ends during prime time, but setting minimum bids and buy-it-now will only discourage bidders.

Think about it. If you set the buy-it-now at $350 and somebody buys it, you likely left money on the table. If your item isn't going to get to $350 (doesn't have a perceived market worth that high), the higher price you set might alienate bidders who aren't willing to spend that much, but would have spent the $330 they think it's worth, and now it ended up selling for $315.

citron230

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2007
San Diego, CA
It wouldn't sell for $0.99.
Especially considering there is no way to set a 10 minute auction.

Trust me, the free market works. There are ways you can get more money, like making sure your auction ends during prime time, but setting minimum bids and buy-it-now will only discourage bidders.

Think about it. If you set the buy-it-now at $350 and somebody buys it, you likely left money on the table. If your item isn't going to get to $350 (doesn't have a perceived market worth that high), the higher price you set might alienate bidders who aren't willing to spend that much, but would have spent the $330 they think it's worth, and now it ended up selling for $315.

I totally agree. First you pay less eBay fees. Second, there many people out there who will bid over the period of 24 hours to raise the price of the phone to a price other's would start the auction. I alway start at $.99.
I have sold at lease 8 iPhones on eBay, every auction starting at $.99, and not one has sold for a price I thought was lower than the phone was worth.

bracesj

macrumors newbie
Jun 24, 2009
i am also looking to sell my 1st gen 4GB iPhone on eBay. do i include my SIM card when i ship it? b/c i've read from others that they have run into problems after selling it on eBay, and the buyer not being able to activate it, and i'm worried about running into this problem.

applehappy

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2007
I just sold my recently warranty replaced 3G 8GB for $330 on ebay. I started the listing at .99 and let the auction run for just 24 hours. This is a well recommended strategy to get your item looked by serious buyers. Could have fetched more a week earlier, there are a lot of iPhones listed now after the 3GS launch. Also, for your listing, be sure to look at lots of other listings to get ideas on what works and what doesn't. Easy as pie, but you see some people with bad listings making much less money.

- For the questions about ebay scammers. You can get ripped on through paypal if you don't follow the rules. Scammers will try to get you to ship overseas and/or to an address no approved for that user via paypal. They pay with paypal then, once the item shows as on the way, dispute the charge as bogus and get their money back. If you mail it to any address other than the one paypal tells you is legit, then you will lose the money.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.