Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steelhauler34

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 23, 2019
Just curious what is necessary to make sure my data and info is gone and the phone is completely ready for the buyer. It seems I remember hearing something about just doing the reset may not be enough if you don’t remove your info from certain things first?? Any guidance would be appreciated.

Banglazed

macrumors 601
Apr 17, 2017
Cupertino, CA
DFU restore will not unlink the device from your iCloud. You will need to manually remove the device from Find My in order for the buyer to activate the device. You can sign out of iCloud first before doing the DFU restore.

You need to “Erase All Contents and Settings” which will prompt for iCloud password to sign out and then erase the device.

Reactions: brucemr

sprague.rod

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2017
Thank you I bookmarked that site.

Not meaning to criticise you, at least you asked the question but as you can see if a web search for “What to do before selling or giving away my iPhone/iPad, Mac computer” you would find the Apple site with the listed procedure in the link provided. Yet so many people don’t bother, unlike yourself. It will save you and the next user lots of problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.