Selling an old AT&T phone?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stainlessliquid, Dec 9, 2007.

1. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

This doesnt really have anything to do with the iPhone, just about AT&T and I figure someone here has sold their old phone to buy an iphone.

I want to ebay my old SLVR L7 with itunes. Its Cingular branded so it is not "unlocked". Ive never sold a sim-card phone before and was wondering if I have to do anything special for the buyer to get it working like you do with stupid CDMA.

Do I just remove my sim-card and sell it? Or do I have to call at&t and make sure they unregister the phone?

2. r6girl Administrator/Editor

r6girl

Staff Member

definitely the wrong forum, but...

make sure you indicate in the auction that it's locked to cingular. to get more for it, you may want to try to unlock it yourself beforehand. if you've had the slvr for more than 6 months and are a good customer with cingular/at&t, you can just call them and tell them you would like to get an unlock code for your slvr. (i was with at&t before i got my iphone and had a blackberry i purchased in january '06 - i requested an unlock code from at&t earlier this year, applied it, and sold it to a t-mobile user. i told them i was thinking of traveling overseas and wanted to be able to use local sim cards.).

before you sell your slvr, you should simply reset it to erase all your data on it - this is in a menu option on the phone, but i can't remember where exactly (i had a slvr once and sold it as well). i think you should keep your sim card. if you activate your iphone and transfer your existing cell number to it, your old sim card should become inactive automatically, but you never know and keeping it instead of giving it to the buyer of your slvr is just safer, imho. you don't have to have at&t to do anything to deactivate it as long as you don't give away your (active) sim card with it.

and your slvr is GSM and won't work on CDMA networks (sprint & verizon). and there's nothing you can do to change that short of changing the hardware in it.