Selling ATT iPhone 4S: Buyer wants to know if it can be unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BJB Productions, Oct 7, 2012.

1. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I'm selling my ATT 4S, and a potential buyer wants to know if it can be unlocked. He says all you have to do is call ATT to do it. I've already transferred it off my ATT account, and removed the SIM for kicks so it's dead. Can he do this? I don't have any desire to do it for him, so I want to make sure he is correct...

2. MrsSmartyPants macrumors newbie

MrsSmartyPants

You are allowed 5 unlocks on AT&T as long as the phone is completely "paid off" and the person unlocking it has an account that is in good standing.

Link to AT&T requirements

3. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I was correct in thinking that now that it is no longer associated with my ATT account, that I should not be the one who has to unlock it... Because I don't really want to bother with that anyway. The buyer should do that.

4. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

If you already sold the phone, it is a different issue. However, if you are in the process of selling it, I don't see anything wrong with the potential buyer requesting that you unlock the phone for him. Yeah, it could be a tedious process with some AT&T reps but to be able to sell your phone faster and likely for a little bit more money, I would recommend you do it. If I were the seller I would do it and if I were the buyer I would request it.

If you think contacting AT&T is too much to do, look up Unlock Fusion on eBay and you can get the phone unlocked in a matter of hours for $10.00 or less. You could also charge more to get this done. Only difference is, with AT&T you don't pay a dime if it is a legitimate unlock and you will spend some time dealing with AT&T, but with the other option, you save the hassle of dealing with AT&T.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Tell him to buy an imei unlock for it on eBay once he receives it.
    It's only $6-7 or so.

6. BJB Productions thread starter macrumors 65816

BJB Productions

I've contacted ATT. We'll see how long it takes to unlock. Thanks everyone. Hoping to get $375ish for it. That seems to be what unlocked ones are going for around here.