Selling before refresh?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Reddmanz, Jan 27, 2011.

  1. Reddmanz macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #1
    Firstly, this isn't a "Should I buy now or wait?!" thread don't worry, haha.

    With all the signs starting to point towards a refresh being imminent, I was toying with the idea to sell my C2D 13" before new ones are announced and using the money to get the new 13" (Without C2D surely?!). I wish I had the money to buy one straight up but times are hard :D

    Anyone else thinking along the same lines?
     
  2. miles01110 macrumors Core

    miles01110

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2006
    Location:
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    #2
    Unless you actually need a faster processor (which isn't even a guarantee) it's not worth your time or trouble. But people seem to convince themselves that it is all the time.
     
  3. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #3
    Im not too bothered really as I do find C2D to be good enough for my needs now (Photo editing, web, occasional Garageband etc). Im thinking for re-sale value in maybe 3-4 years time as well.
     
  4. skiltrip macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    May 6, 2010
    Location:
    New York
    #4
    I'm not doing it. I can't be without a computer for some unknown period of time. Also I want to wait till the reviews and benchmarks have all been done. And most importantly, see how SB MBPs are doing running Pro Tools and other DAW software. To me, all that above is worth whatever resale hit I'll take by selling later.
     
  5. panzer06 macrumors 68030

    panzer06

    Joined:
    Sep 23, 2006
    Location:
    Kilrath
    #5
    There are a lot of people selling the 2009 13 with the nvidia 9400m right now and some selling the 2010 base too.

    If you hv other macs to use in the interim it's not a bad strategy. I like to sell before updates. It's just trying to time it that's a pain. I ended having to use a windows laptop for 5 months once. :)

    Cheers,
     
  6. DeViAnThans3 macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2010
    Location:
    Belgium (Europe)
    #6
    I can't answer the question as I don't have a MBP for myself yet.

    But I do note that quite a few people seem to be convinced that the 13" MBP may get ditched in the next MBP announcement. You should take that possibility into account (which would leave you with the possibility to buy a probably-new MacBook 13" or MBA 13" if you'ld like to stay with a 13" notebook).

    Furthermore, if your current MBP suits your needs well enough, I personally wouldn't sell it before new MBP's are announced, probably because of my "I want to be sure"-attitude ;)

    If you'ld like a speedy machine, buying a SSD to replace your HD would probably pay off better than upgrading to the new MBP's - if you haven't put a SSD in there already ;) . But I'm pretty sure I haven't told you anything new here, just a personal view :)
     
  7. dwhynman macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jun 23, 2010
    #7
    Your computer is only 6 months old. Now you may see 85-90% of what you paid. I just sold my 3 year old MacBook pro on amazon and I got 75% of what I paid. Wait a couple of years. If not you are probally just wasting your money. Unless you feel your computer is not sufficient for your needs and you are making a big upgrade.
     
  8. kgeier82 macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Feb 18, 2008
    #8
    Im selling the i7 for something smaller. No longer need the i7, but dont want a c2d.

    Just built a SB desktop anyway.
     
  9. pricej636 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2010
    Location:
    Colorado
    #9
    Anything that has an apple on it holds it value really well. You might get a few more dollars by selling before the update, but its not enough to really worry about.

    I toyed with the idea as well. I had an offer for $850 for my 2010 13" that I didn't take.
     
  10. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #10
    I dont really want the hassle of having to eBay it or something either. I did only pay £850 for mine new thanks to some University discount though. :D
     
  11. dtodor macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2009
    #11
  12. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #12
    Oh yes thanks for reminding me about that. I remember all that now,doesn't time go quick haha.
     
  13. BJB Productions macrumors 65816

    BJB Productions

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2008
    #13
    I'm personally planning to sell mine and upgrade, but I'm waiting until the refresh happens so I can see if it's even worth upgrading. If I do, (yes) I won't get as much resale value as I would if I sold my current MBP now, but I also won't feel bad about buying something that's not much of an upgrade to my current.
     
  14. dusk007 macrumors 68040

    dusk007

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2009
    #14
    I was also wondering if selling before an update is worth it but I won't.
    a.) I don't know yet if the update is significant enough to make me want to switch (Quad + decent GPU + more VRAM). Also the form factor will probably change to 16:9 which is not really something I am looking forward too. I would prefer to compare that with my 15" HD before switching before doing anything.
    b.) I don't really have a good substitute. My old Notebook is very old and I would gladly pay the 100 bucks or more that I might get for not having to live without it.
    c.) While I would like to have more speed and a lot is possible speed wise, I do have a 15" with a nice screen and apart from raw speed very little shortcomings. I wouldn't be as happy if I had a 13" because the screen is too small and performance is even worse.
     
  15. mark28 macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2010
    #15
    I was thinking about this too. But in the end, I decided that Ivy Bridge is when I might upgrade this MBP maybe. My reasons are standard Quad Cores and it's 22nm which is more power efficient.
     
  16. Pooki macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2011
    Location:
    Belgium
    #16
    Haha I hope people will sell their MacBook Pro 15 inch i5 base model :p
    I'm considering buying that one!
     
  17. deeesea macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2010
    #17
    Not here to thread crap, genuinely interested.

    Why do so many of you guys choose to lease your laptops? Like let's be honest, you buy it, get all "OCD" about it, keep it nice and clean, spend lots of money getting cases and accessories for your laptop, and then within the year, when a new one is announced you guys dump it for the newest one?

    A lot of times I see that many people who do this aren't even really taxing their laptop (most just do some light photo editing and some web browsing + word processing). A lot of the "heavy users" on this forum have a dedicated machine to really get their work done and the laptop is just as a supplement to their primary work horse if and when they are on the go and a lot i've noticed from their sig have kept 2+ year old machines that they still run very well.

    When I observe the professionals in the music/stage industry they too are using "outdated" machines namely the sound techies for The Trews, Yellowcard and +44 (not so sure if blink 182 has the same guy). So I'm curious why this constant worry about maintaining it and keeping its resale value, and then transferring all your files (even if restore from backup on time machine is a piece of cake, it still takes time for files to copy over). If someone would kindly enlighten me as to why it'd be greatly appreciated, I'm seriously curious as to what all the hubbub is about getting the latest and (this bit is arguable) greatest from Jobs and co.

    Of course, it's your own money and you're free to do what you please with it, but to the OP, you said 'times are hard' and you'd rather save some money, why not just forgo this next "refresh" wait until your 13 inch craps out on you and drop a few large on w/e new product apple has then?
     
  18. MacMan86 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    This isn't really an issue. When the new models are put on sale, the old models don't suddenly disappear and immediately become unavailable. Quite the opposite - Apple Retail Stores will continue to sell the old models at a discount alongside the new stock until it's depleted or until a few weeks are up. Apple's End Of Line discounts are normally reasonable and are a good chance to get good tech at a slightly lower price.
     
  19. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #19

    Because I'm thinking for future re-sale value. For instance in 3-4 years time a C2D 13" will go for a sizeable lump less than whatever they run with in this refresh.
    Also considering the fact I bought the computer at a discount, I could still sell it at a profit used.
     
  20. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
    #20
    do it, sell it. theres ebay, craigslist, online companies who buy laptops, apples recycle program, friends, work, family etc.. I'm doing the same thing. This refresh is going to be more than a little bump or petty increase. Do you really want to keep the old generation now? sell it asap so you can get best value for it before new models are out
     
  21. foulmouthedleon macrumors regular

    foulmouthedleon

    Joined:
    Feb 25, 2008
    Location:
    Annapolis, MD
    #21
    I sold my 13” MBP and got a 15” i5 and I got nearly $1000 for my 2.26Ghz 13” on ebay. I’m still under the 45 day return window as I got the laptop at Best Buy, so if they come out with a refresh then I’ll probably take it back and get the new model.

    If you can “survive” without your computer and are intent on waiting on the new models, sell it while you can. But bear in mind that you could be waiting until April.
     
  22. lifeguard90 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2010
    Location:
    Chicago
  23. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

    Queen of Spades

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    Location:
    The Iron Throne
    #23
    I used to do this religiously, then I realized what a hassle and waste of money it really is. I have finally rehabbed myself out of the constant computer upgrading I was doing, and I'm glad I did.

    If you have an extra computer lying around, I'd say go for it if it's what you really want to do.
     
  24. Reddmanz thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 23, 2010
    #24
    I've spent this afternoon trying to get my g4 Powermac to boot, looks like a power supply issue :(
     
  25. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

    Queen of Spades

    Joined:
    May 9, 2008
    Location:
    The Iron Throne
    #25
    I've been through probably 5 or 6 MacBook Pros over the last few years, and I honestly no longer see the joy/benefit in doing so. Sure, that first week you have a little new tech envy, but it quickly goes away. Meanwhile you save yourself: the craigslist/ebay headaches, spending a couple (few) hundred extra dollars, re-insalling wrapsol and whatever else. My current machine does everything I need and more, and it's pointless to waste money, time, and effort simply to buy something for the sake of newness. Trust me.

    The only way I'll sell and upgrade is if they change the body style completely again, and even then, I might not.

    It's something that's totally up to you, just thought I'd offer my opinion as a former serial upgrader.
     

Share This Page