Selling Computer, what to do?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Spikeanator6982, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Spikeanator6982 macrumors 6502

I did search this but I couldn't find what I was looking for. When I sell a computer, Can I just delete the apps like Final Cut express, Toast 8 and iWork, or do I need to de-authorize them? thanks

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

The rule of thumb is if it is installed you have to include the CD'S. If you plan on selling it here. eBay is a different story. What you can do if you do sell it is delete your user account and create another or just reinstall the OS.

3. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

start up with your disc utilities cd and do a least a 7 pass writing zeros to destroy any valuable data if you don't want the potential buyer finding it. and then do a clean install of the system software and all apps. if you plan on selling on this site, you will have to include the dics that contain the software or operating system installed on the computer.

4. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Before you do anything, go in and deauthorize the computer for itunes. Really sucks to sell it and it counts against your 5.

If you are not selling the software with the computer, just delete the apps. If you have a burden, you can go in and use something like app zapper.

Probably the easiest way is to just do a clean install with the operating system and wipe everything. btw, you probably want to remove all the quicken files...

5. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know about doing itunes.
    I don't want to include that apps when selling, I said I wanted to delete them. I have iWord, Final Cut Express, and Toast 8 installed on it. I didnt know if I could just delete the apps or if I had to "free" the codes required to install them first. I guess like the Iwork says its for up to 5 computers. I figured they must have a way to enforce only 5 computers much like they do with songs on itunes and didnt know if just deleteing/erase and reinstalling the OS would get me back the rights to reinstall them on a new computer.

I guess I dont think anyone has answered my question about having to "deauthorize" the software I had installed on it. I guess I didnt state my question right before.

6. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

I nuked the hard drive and formatted then followed this guide when I sold my last iMac:

http://mikewest.org/archive/preparing-a-mac-for-resale

The buyer really appreciated it because he basically got the Mac in the exact same condition it was in brand new from the factory. I would not recommend you leave any of your own personally purchased apps on a machine you sell used.

7. blackscooby macrumors 6502

blackscooby

When I sold my MacBook last spring I did a brand new install of the OS. I basically powered it down when it got to the flashy "Welcome to OSX" screen.

Tested it by switching back on and it was as if the MB was brand new. Ready to fill in the OSX registration page.
    I did a full install including Printer Drivers, iLife and whatever else it was shipped with as standard. Then it was upto the new owner to do with it whatever they wanted.

8. r88my macrumors regular

I think the OP is asking weather he needs to "deauthorise" the apps he mentioned before deleting them. I.E. if he simply deletes iwork, will he be able to reinstall it on his new mac without any issues or will apple deem that he has it already installed on his computer (which he is selling) and therefore can not reinstall it :)

OP - I dont think you need to deauthorise iwork or toast from what I can see on my own mac, deleting them should be fine (although I am not 100% sure).

9. Spikeanator6982 thread starter macrumors 6502

thats exactly what I was asking, anyone know for sure? Thanks