Selling condition

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SmurfBoxMasta, Jul 19, 2014.

1. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

I would like member's opinions/thoughts/ideas on this:

When you sell a piece of computer hardware, do you normally clean it before you ship it to your buyer ? Especially one that can be easily & negatively affected by dirt & dust......

I recently purchased a used (Higher end) video card with the stock HSF combo from someone on another board. This person has good heatware & ebay feedback AFAIK, and had been a member of the board for a good while.

WHen I received the card, it was as advertised, with 1 big exception:

It was FILTHY, and full of dust bunnies & dirt. It took me almost 2 hours and 3 cans of canned air to get most of the filth out of it......

Yes I knew it was used but I never expected to anyone to ship such a cruddy piece of hardware to a buyer....

So far it seems to running fine, but I have not stressed it at all yet, preferring to use it lightly for a few days first.

I have pm'd the seller, letting him know that if the card starts to overheat, I will have to disassemble the HSF unit and clean it inside & out, and that if that becomes necessary, I WILL expect to be compensated for my time in the form of a partial refund. So far he has not responded.

I also told him that I would keep this matter between us for now, and that I have NOT yet posted any negative feedback, heatware, nor filed a paypal claim, which I am sure would be within my rights to do so if he does not agree to a reasonable resolution.

I have been buy & selling online for many, many years and have NEVER ever received or shipped anything, hardware or otherwise, in such horrible condition.........

ANy/all comments appreciated :D

2. Astroboy907 macrumors 65816

Astroboy907

With computers and such I generally take the covers off and clean the dust out of fans and such. Everything else I generally give a quick scrubbing off. I don't meticulously clean everything to make sure it is absolutely perfect but I at least try to make sure its much cleaner then it could have been.

3. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

I wouldn't let it get so bad that it takes that much to clean it out, much less sell and ship it to someone in that condition.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Pretty much what I do as well.

5. SmurfBoxMasta thread starter macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

THanks for the responses, please keep 'em coming :D

6. sviato macrumors 68020

sviato

Bought a mouse recently on ebay. It was quite dirty and sticky when it arrived, took a while to clean and afterwards I discovered that one of the buttons didn't work. The seller sent me a new one free of charge though which I haven't opened yet.

When I've sold electronics, I cleaned them to make them look presentable.