selling content on iTunes music store

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by North Bronson, Jan 20, 2010.

1. North Bronson macrumors 6502

Have any developers here made the transition to selling content on the rest of the iTunes store (music or films)? What is the process like for an independent artist?

I was thinking about selling some music, but developing applications has given me enough of an independent streak that I don't see the need to give points to a label to "distribute" my music to iTunes on my behalf.

2. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

You need to be on a Major to distribute music, movies through iTunes. other wise it would end up like Youtube with alot major saturation and bull.

App Store/Video Game Content is a little different. Not saying its not saturated but the market requires a little skill and intelligent to make applications and games. In Other Words your average everyday American Does NOT know C++ Programming.

3. North Bronson thread starter macrumors 6502

I heard that only Majors (or established indies) could sell music on iTunes, but I was under the impression that it was more of a demand that the big labels made. I thought the label told Apple many years ago: "Don't let independent artists start uploading their own material without signing (points) to us or we remove all of our content."

4. forcesteeler macrumors 6502

That true to because once digital distribution really takes off in the next 3-5 years. Whats the point of signing to a Label? when you can just upload your own content and keep the money between you and apple.

Just like the App Store.

5. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

There are "labels" out there who will distribute music for independent artists on iTunes. I know, because I know a few bands that have done it. Google around and you'll find some. But by going that way you'll make very minimal off of your work (10 cents a song if you're lucky), but it can be great exposure and a way for people to find you that otherwise wouldn't have. A lot of independent artists I know use garageband.com, cdbaby.com, or the new label services that tunelab.com is offering.

6. efterdal macrumors newbie

Agenda Music can help you www.agenda-music.com